Hard boiled eggs are super easy to cook. All you need is water. You have to let the egg boil in water for about 12 minutes, and that’s it. Although waiting for 12 minutes to get a perfectly boiled egg is not a big thing. But for some, even this is a lot of time. Plus, don’t forget the use of a pot. Now, if you are thinking of ways to speed up boiling an egg, you are in luck! We have quite a few different ways you can make a hard boiled egg faster. One of those ways is by using a microwave. If you are wondering, How to Make a hard boiled egg in the microwave? Read ahead and find out!
What is a hard boiled egg?
A hard boiled egg is an egg that is cooked in water with its shell intact until the interior is cooked. The egg white and egg yolk of a hard-boiled egg are perfectly cooked. A hard boiled egg is among the most nutritious form of an egg. Although a hard boiled egg is a perfect snack on its own, there are so many ways you can enjoy it. Whether it is in a salad or as a ramen topping, a hard boiled egg never disappoints.
Ways of making a hard boiled egg
There are so many different ways you can make a hard boiled egg. These ways are very convenient and offer a wide range of possibilities, and equipment. From a traditional boiling an egg on a stovetop to a nontraditional microwave, here are a few ways to make a hard-boiled egg:
- Stovetop: The easiest and most widely used way of making a hard boiled egg is by cooking it in boiling water over the stovetop. It takes no more than 12 minutes to get a perfectly hard boiled egg.
- Electric kettle: Now, if you have an electric kettle at home, you can use it to make a few extra things other than tea or coffee. For instance, you can use it to make hard boiled eggs. All you have to do is add water and eggs and let the electric kettle heat up. It will give you perfect results in 10 minutes. Pretty convenient, isn’t it?
- Instant pot: Another super easy and quick way to get hard boiled eggs, especially when you are in a hurry, is by cooking them in an instant pot. It will take about 7 minutes to give you a perfectly boiled egg.
- Slow cooker: this method is not for those who like fast results, but well, it is a way to make a hard boiled egg. The process takes about 2 to 3 hours. Honestly, why wait this long when you can make it faster?
More ways of making a hard boiled egg
- Air fryer: You can also hard-boil and egg in an air fryer. You won’t be needing water for this method. Just place the egg in the basket and air fry for 15 minutes, followed by an ice bath for 5 minutes.
- Microwave Oven: Now, my favorite and probably the most convenient way to make a hard boiled egg is by using a microwave. All you have to do is poke the egg with a little hole using a needle or a safety pin. Place it in a microwave safe bowl and pour enough water to drown the egg. Microwave it for about 2 minutes at 45-second intervals and let the egg sit in hot water for 2 more minutes. In just 4 minutes, you can get a perfectly cooked hard boiled egg. It is the fastest and the most convenient way of all.
How to make a hard boiled egg in the microwave
Here are a few things you should keep in mind when making a hard boiled egg:
- If you are cooking a single egg in the microwave, set the timer to 2 minutes. For 2 eggs, set the timer to 4 minutes, and for 3 eggs, set the timer to 6 minutes, and so on.
- Always use fresh eggs at room temperature. If you are using refrigerated eggs, let them sit until they reach room temperature.
- If you are worried that the egg will explode in the microwave, set the microwave to 30 or 45-second intervals.
- Adding a little salt or a dash of vinegar also prevents the egg from cracking and makes it easy to peel.
- For easy peeling, place the egg in ice water for a few minutes.
- You can boil the eggs in bulk and refrigerate them for up to 5 days.
- Sprinkle black pepper and paprika powder over your microwaved hard boiled egg and enjoy.
Note: This recipe is valid for a 1200 watts microwave. For a microwave with mower power, increase the cooking time.
How to make a hard boiled egg in the microwave
- Preparation time: 2 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 minutes
- Total time: 4 minutes
- Servings: 1
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup water or more if needed
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Prick a small hole at the bottom of the egg using a safety pin or a needle.
- Place the egg in a microwave-safe mug or a bowl.
- Pour enough water so that the egg submerges in it completely.
- Add about ½ tsp of salt to the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and set the timer to 2 minutes. You can also set the microwave at a 45-second interval to be on the safe side.
- Let it sit for about 2 minutes in hot water.
- Now take it out of the water and into iced water.
- Peel your perfect hard boiled egg and enjoy.