Who doesn’t love a perfectly grilled cheese sandwich? It is crispy from the outside, full of melted cheese on the inside, and satisfying. There are so many ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich. You can add a lot of things to enhance its favor, but a simple grilled cheese sandwich is always the best, in my opinion.
Making a grilled cheese sandwich is a quick process. Most of us make it over the stovetop using a pan or a griller. However, there is another way of making a grilled cheese sandwich that always gives you perfect results. This is by using a microwave. So keep reading if you are wondering how to make a grilled cheese sandwich in a microwave.
What is a grilled cheese sandwich?
A grilled cheese sandwich is among the most widely enjoyed and loved sandwiches globally, especially in the USA. This sandwich is made using any bread. The slices are coated with butter and are filled with cheese slices. They are then either toasted over the stovetop in a pan or a griddle until they are crispy from the outside and the cheese is perfectly melted.
A grilled cheese sandwich is perfect for every occasion. It is a great snack idea, or you can enjoy it for lunch and dinner. Although the grilled cheese sandwich is widely known as an American sandwich, it is believed that the first person ever to use cheese and ham in a sandwich was from France. However, this sandwich came to the USA in the early 1900s and became an instant hit.
Can you make grilled cheese in a microwave?
Believe it or not, a microwave does a lot more them warming up your food. In fact, if you know the right way, you can cook a lot of different things in a microwave. For instance, if you are craving a grilled cheese sandwich and are too tired to make it over the stovetop, try making it in the microwave. The cheese melts perfectly, and the outside of the bread is super crispy.
Why make grilled cheese in a microwave?
Now, if you think because you can make a perfect grilled cheese sandwich over the stovetop, why shift to making it in a microwave? We have a few reasons that will be enough to convince you!
- Making a grilled cheese sandwich in a microwave means you are not going to use any stove or pan. Less clean-up!
- You don’t have to wait for the pan to heat up or worry about burning your hand.
- You can safely make a grilled cheese sandwich in a microwave even if you are too tired to cook.
How to make grilled cheese in a microwave
Leaving the traditional pan or griddle method behind, there are two simple ways to make a perfect grilled cheese sandwich in a microwave. These two ways include two different pieces of equipment other than the microwave.
- Toaster or toaster oven: A toaster is a kitchen appliance that uses electricity to toast the bread slices without a pan over the stovetop. The best thing about a toaster is that it gives the toast an even crisp and browning. So, before you shift the grilled cheese sandwich to the microwave, you can apply butter to the bread slices and toast them in a toaster. Next, take them out, add cheese slices, and wrap them up in a kitchen towel. Place it on a microwave-safe plate and microwave at 20-second intervals until the cheese melts completely. The grilled cheese sandwich is ready!
- Microwave grill: This method requires a unique piece of equipment called a microwave grill. It is like any other griller, but it is microwave safe. So, all you have to do is heat it in the microwave, place bread slices on it, and microwave until they are crispy. Next, place cheese slices in between the bread slices and microwave again until the cheese melts.
Tips for making grilled cheese in a microwave
When making grilled cheese sandwiches in a microwave, keep a few things in mind:
- Different microwaves have different power. So, the grilling time may depend on your microwave’s power.
- Using day-old bread works really well.
- Feel free to butter the sandwich a few times to enhance its flavor.
- You can add deli ham, pickles, or bacon to your grilled cheese sandwich.
- Use mayonnaise along with butter for more flavor.
- You can add parsley and garlic to your butter for more flavor.
How To Make A Grilled Cheese In A Microwave
- 2 slices of whole wheat or white bread (Sourdough bread works great too!)
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- 2slices of cheddar cheese or American cheese (or any cheese you like)
- Place a microwave grill pan in the microwave and set the timer to 3 minutes or until the grill is hot.
- Spread butter generously over the bread slices.
- Place the bread slices on the grill and place them back in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Now, take the grill out of the microwave, and open it up to place cheese slices between the bread slices.
- Place the grill back in the microwave and set the timer to 45 to 60 seconds or until the cheese melts.
- Take the sandwich out of the grill and enjoy the best-grilled cheese ever!
Is Brioche Bread Good For Grilled Cheese?
Brioche bread is a great option for grilled cheese. It has a rich and buttery flavor that pairs well with most cheese varieties.
What To Eat With Grilled Cheese Besides Tomato Soup?
- Pickle spears or slices
- Chips or fries
- Fresh fruit
- Roasted vegetables
What To Dip Grilled Cheese In?
- Ranch dressing
- Honey mustard
- Hot sauce
Is Gruyere Good For Grilled Cheese?
Gruyere is a great cheese to use for grilled cheese. It has a nutty and slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with many breads.