This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
Whether you have an entire box of cake mix or a few leftover scoops, spice cake mix can be used as a base for a variety of mouth-watering sweet dishes. The rich blend of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg makes it a go-to choice for baking scrumptious desserts during the holiday season and beyond.
Get ready to spark your creativity, gather your friends and family, and unleash your baking skills with these dessert ideas using your trusty spice cake mix. From easy-to-make cookies to layered cakes, your taste buds are about to be delighted!
Spice Cake Basics
To begin, it’s helpful to understand the foundation of a spice cake. The key ingredients that give this cake its distinct taste are a mix of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and sometimes ginger. These spices are commonly used in autumn and winter recipes, making spice cakes the perfect seasonal treat.
Now that you have your spice cake mix let’s discuss a few additions and modifications to elevate your cake to the next level. Consider adding these ingredients to make your cake stand out:
Desserts Made With Spice Cake Mix
- Pumpkin Spice Cake: Elevate your spice cake mix by adding a cup of canned pumpkin puree and a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Bake according to the package instructions for a moist and delicious pumpkin cake that perfectly captures the essence of fall.
- Apple Spice Cake: For a fruity twist on the classic spice cake, mix in a cup of grated apples and a teaspoon of cinnamon with your spice cake mix. Finish it off by drizzling warm caramel sauce on top just before serving. The combination of apples and caramel will make your taste buds dance with delight.
- Pumpkin Muffins: Prepare your spice cake mix with just a few simple tweaks to make scrumptious pumpkin muffins. Add a cup of pumpkin puree, and stir in some chocolate chips if you like. Bake in a muffin tin for a portable snack that’s perfect for taking on fall outings.
- Pumpkin Donuts: Who doesn’t love a warm, freshly baked donut? Transform your spice cake mix into donuts by mixing in a cup of pumpkin puree, along with fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Bake in a donut pan, and finish with a generous dusting of powdered sugar.
- Carrot cake: With the addition of shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts, and a heavenly cream cheese frosting, your spice cake mix can easily be transformed into a delicious and moist carrot cake.
- Super moist spice cake: To achieve a super moist spice cake, simply add a box of instant pudding mix to the batter – the result will be a tender and delicious dessert.
- Spiced banana bread: Mix in some mashed bananas to your spice cake mix, and you have a delightful spiced banana bread perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Sweeten Up Your Spice Cake
You can make your spice cake even sweeter by using various icings, syrups, and frostings. Here are a few to try:
- Icing: For your spice cake mix, maple icing can be a fantastic option. The sweet and earthy maple flavor will perfectly complement the aromatic spices in your cake. To make maple icing, simply combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, and a touch of milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Dusting with powdered sugar: If you’re looking for a simple and elegant presentation, dusting your spice cake with a bit of powdered sugar can do the trick. Once your cake has cooled, lightly sift a thin layer of powdered sugar on top, which adds a subtle touch of sweetness without overwhelming the cake’s natural spice profile.
- Caramel frosting: Caramel is another flavor that goes hand in hand with spice cakes. To create an irresistibly rich caramel frosting, combine brown sugar, butter, and milk in a saucepan and heat until smooth. Gradually stir in powdered sugar, and mix until creamy. Apply a generous layer of caramel frosting to your cake, ensuring that every bite delivers an explosion of sweet and spiced flavors.
- Chocolate chips are a popular add-in for spice cake mixes. The combination of chocolate and spices creates a rich and decadent treat. Try adding 1 cup of semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips to your batter. You can also experiment with different types of chocolate, such as white or dark chocolate chips.
- Pecans are another excellent addition to spice cake mix. Adding 1 cup of chopped pecans provides a delightful crunchy texture and nutty flavor that complements the spices. You can also toast the pecans before adding them to your mix, giving an even richer flavor.
- Apple pie filling is a fantastic way to add moisture and fruitiness to your spice cake. Simply fold in one 21-ounce can of apple pie filling into the batter. This addition creates a cake that’s reminiscent of a delicious apple pie, perfect for the fall season.
- Dried fruit, such as raisins, currants, or cranberries, may also be added to your spice cake mix. Adding 1 cup of your preferred dried fruit works best. Before using them, hydrate the fruit by soaking them in warm water or juice for 15 minutes. This step plumps the fruit and prevents it from absorbing moisture from your cake.
- Molasses (a tablespoon or two) can be added to your spice cake mix for a richer, deeper flavor profile. Molasses pairs beautifully with the warm spices typically found in spice cake mix and adds a touch of sweetness to the overall taste.