This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through our links, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. HomePerch only promotes products that we use and love.
There’s nothing quite like a steaming mug of Mexican Abuelita hot chocolate to warm you up on a chilly day. But what exactly is Abuelita hot chocolate, and how do you make it? Keep reading to find out.
What is Abuelita Hot Chocolate?
Mexican Abuelita hot chocolate is made with an Abuelita chocolate tablet that contains cocoa, sugar, and cinnamon. When combined with hot milk or water, it creates a beautifully thick and frothy drink.
How to Make Abuelita Hot Chocolate
To make the perfect Abuelita hot chocolate, you’ll need an Abuelita chocolate tablet, some milk or water, and a traditional whisk called a “molinillo.” This wooden tool helps create the signature frothy texture. You can also use a regular whisk or even a fork if you don’t have a molinillo.
The process of making Abuelita hot chocolate is quite simple:
- Heat your milk or water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Break the Abuelita chocolate tablet into smaller pieces and add them to the heated milk or water.
- Stir the mixture continuously, ensuring that the chocolate is melting evenly and dissolving into the liquid.
- As the mixture starts to thicken, begin frothing it using a molinillo, whisk, or fork until you achieve that desired frothy texture.
- Serve the hot chocolate in mugs, and enjoy the warm, chocolatey goodness!
- Whipped cream: Adding whipped cream to hot chocolate is always a good decision.
- Marshmallows: Sprinkle a few mini marshmallows on top for a fun and fluffy addition.
- Cinnamon: Dust a pinch of ground cinnamon over the surface to enhance the flavor profile.
- Chili powder: For a little kick, try a small sprinkle of chili powder or cayenne pepper. This will give your hot chocolate a touch of spice to complement the rich chocolate flavor.
How much milk is needed to make Abuelita hot chocolate?
To make Abuelita hot chocolate, you’ll typically need 4 cups of milk for one tablet of Abuelita chocolate.
Can you use condensed milk in Abuelita hot chocolate?
Yes, you can use condensed milk in Abuelita hot chocolate. If you use condensed milk, you might want to dilute it with water because it is sweeter and thicker than regular milk. A common ratio is 1:1, meaning equal parts of condensed milk and water.
What’s the difference between Abuelita hot chocolate powder and syrup?
Abuelita hot chocolate powder and syrup have similar flavors, but they differ in their consistency and how they’re used in recipes. The powder is a dry mix that you combine with hot milk or water to make hot chocolate, while the syrup is a liquid that you can add directly to steamed milk, coffee or even drizzle over desserts. The powder may provide a slightly richer and more traditional Mexican hot chocolate experience, but both options are delicious and easily customizable to fit your taste preferences.