This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
Have you ever wondered what is a Bavarian cream donut? Bavarian cream, also known as bavaroise, is a luscious filling made from milk, eggs, sugar, and gelatin. This wonderful mixture is then blended with whipped cream to achieve an airy texture. As for the donut itself, it’s typically made from yeast-based dough that can be either fried or baked.
The History of Bavarian Cream Donuts
The origins of the Bavarian cream donut, or “Bismarck” as it is also known, trace all the way back to Germany in the late 19th century and made its first appearance in Bavaria, a region in southeast Germany.
During this time, the region was under the rule of King Ludwig II. The story goes that a Bavarian pastry chef introduced the delectable cream to the royal court. The delightful recipe quickly spread throughout the region and won the hearts of many.
The donut itself, along with the idea of filling a fried pastry with cream, initially came from the Dutch. They introduced the concept of a doughnut, which was round with a hole in the middle, to the Germans. The Germans then put their spin on it and invented the Berliner, a filled pastry without a hole in the middle. It’s believed that Americans, upon experiencing the European pastries, adopted the idea and introduced jelly and cream-filled doughnuts in the United States.
Jump forward to the 1900s, when Hans Bismarck immigrated to the United States from Germany. He attempted to recreate the delicious taste of Bavarian cream by combining it with the concept of filled doughnuts. As a result, the Bavarian cream-filled donut as we know it today was born. It rose to further fame thanks to American donut shops like Dunkin and Krispy Kreme.
Popularity and Variations
Bavarian cream donuts, also known as Berliners or Bismarcks, are a popular pastry worldwide. They are cherished for their fluffy dough and sweet, creamy filling. In this section, we’ll explore the famous shops that offer this delicious treat and the unique variations that can be found across the globe.
Famous Donut Shops
If you’re a fan of these pastries, there are several renowned shops you must visit:
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Known for their many flavors of donuts, you can always find the classic Bavarian cream donut on their menu.
- Krispy Kreme: Alongside their beloved original glazed donuts, they also offer delicious-filled donuts, including the Bavarian cream option.
- Voodoo Doughnut: This quirky shop is famous for its unique and eye-catching donuts, as well as, of course, its take on the Bavarian cream donut.
- Federal Donuts: Found in Philadelphia, this popular shop offers not only exceptional fried chicken but also mouthwatering Bavarian cream donuts.
Unique Variations Across the Globe
As you travel the world, you may find some interesting twists on the traditional Bavarian cream donut. Here are a few you may stumble upon:
- Paczki: Originating in Poland, paczki is often filled with a variety of creams and jams, including Bavarian cream. They are typically more dense and rich in comparison to their American counterparts.
- Krapfen: In Austria and Germany, Krapfen is loved for its light and airy dough. Although traditionally filled with apricot jam, Bavarian cream variants are also widely enjoyed.
- Sufganiyot: Popular during the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, sufganiyot are deep-fried donuts filled with different flavors of cream, including Bavarian cream.
How is the Bavarian cream donut different from the Boston cream donut?
The main difference between Bavarian cream and Boston cream donuts lies in their filling. Bavarian cream donuts have a filling made from a mixture of whipped cream and custard. Boston cream donuts are filled with vanilla custard or pastry cream.
What type of frosting is on a Bavarian cream donut?
There are a few common types of frosting used, such as a powdered sugar glaze, chocolate glaze, or a simple dusting of powdered sugar. The choice of frosting can vary depending on the bakery or the individual’s preference. Some bakeries may even offer a variety of frosting options for customers to choose from.
Is Bavarian cream similar to custard?
While Bavarian cream and custard share some similarities, they are distinct in texture and ingredients. Bavarian cream is a combination of custard and whipped cream, giving it a lighter, airier texture. Custard is made primarily from milk, sugar, and egg yolks, and it tends to have a richer and creamier consistency. Although the two fillings may seem similar, you can notice a difference in taste and texture.