This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through our links, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. HomePerch only promotes products that we use and love.
When you find yourself with extra wonton wrappers, consider the multitude of creative possibilities at your fingertips. These thin sheets of dough are incredibly versatile, ready to be stuffed, folded, and cooked in a variety of ways.
You can also try twisting the wrappers into fun shapes before frying to add a crispy texture to your soups or salads. If you’re not planning to use all of your wrappers at once, stacking them between layers of parchment paper and sealing them in a freezer bag is a great way to freeze them for future culinary experiments. So grab those extra wrappers and let your imagination guide you to endless homemade wonton wonders!
Savory Wonton Creations
Transform your extra wonton wrappers into mouthwatering appetizers and main dishes that will impress at any dining table. From crispy snacks to hearty meals, the versatility of wonton wrappers is bound to satisfy your savory cravings.
Appetizing Starters and Snacks
- Tacos & Cups:
- Create Taco Cups by fitting wonton wrappers into a muffin tin, adding your favorite taco fillings, and baking until crispy.
- Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups: Mix shredded chicken with buffalo sauce, scoop into wrappers in a muffin tin, top with cheese, and bake.
- Crispy Snacks:
- Cheese Wontons: Fill wrappers with mozzarella, seal, and deep-fry for homemade mozzarella sticks.
- Sausage Wonton Stars: Press wrappers into a mini muffin tin, fill with cooked pork sausage and sour cream, bake until golden.
- Steamed Specialties:
- Steamed Turkey Dumplings: Combine ground turkey with veggies, nestle in wonton wrappers, and steam for a healthier snack.
- Dipping Delights:
- Wonton Pot Stickers with Soy Reduction: Fill wrappers with a mixture of pork, cabbage, and seasonings, pan-fry, then steam and serve with soy reduction sauce for a tantalizing appetizer.
Main Course Wonders
- Innovative Entrees:
- Szechuan Pork Tacos: Stuff wrappers with spicy Szechuan pork, fold into a taco shape, and pan-fry for a zesty dinner twist.
- Korean Wontons: Wrap a blend of seasoned ground beef and kimchi in wrappers and boil for an inspired main dish.
- Comfort Classics:
- Muffin-Tin Lasagnas: Layer wonton wrappers with cheese, marinara, and ground beef in a muffin tin for mini lasagnas, bake until bubbly.
- Philly Cheesesteak Wonton Cups: Combine strips of beef, onions, peppers, and provolone cheese in wrapper-lined muffin tins for a handheld cheesesteak experience.
- Vegetarian Options:
- Vegetarian Dumplings: Stuff wrappers with a mix of spinach, mushrooms, and tofu, then steam or bake for a satisfying, meat-free meal.
- Mini Quiche in Wonton Cups: Line a muffin tin with wrappers, fill with a mixture of eggs, cheese, and veggies, and bake for delightful mini quiches.
Delightful Desserts and Sweets
Elevate your dessert game with inventive uses for extra wonton wrappers. From crispy sweet treats to fruit-filled delights, you’ll find something to satisfy every sweet tooth.
Sweet Wonton Treats
- Mini Apple Pies: Tuck diced apples mixed with sugar and cinnamon into wonton wrappers, bake until golden, and enjoy a bite-sized take on a classic dessert.
- Cranberry-Pecan Brie Cups: Fill each wrapper with a mixture of brie, cranberries, and pecans; bake until the cheese melts to create a perfect holiday treat.
- Cheese Rangoon: Combine cream cheese, sugar, and a dash of cinnamon, then fold into wrappers and fry for a crispy and creamy dessert rangoon.
- Thanksgiving Wontons: Mix sweet potatoes, marshmallows, and a sprinkle of brown sugar in wrappers for a unique twist on Thanksgiving flavors.
- Baked Samosas: Load wrappers with a sweet potato, cinnamon, and nutmeg filling for a healthier take on this traditional snack.
- Wonton Crackers: Brush wonton wrappers with a little olive oil and a dusting of cinnamon sugar, then bake until crispy to create light and flavorful chips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Wonton wrappers are incredibly versatile and not just for traditional wonton soup! They can be transformed into delightful desserts, crunchy baked treats, creative appetizers, nutritious meals, and vegetarian-friendly dishes. Plus, they’re great for homemade dumplings. Let’s unlock the potential of those extra wrappers!
Can you suggest some dessert recipes using wonton wrappers?
Absolutely! For a quick dessert fix, try filling your wonton wrappers with a mix of cream cheese and sugar, then fry them until golden. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or a dip in chocolate sauce. If you’re in the mood for something fruity, fill them with diced apples, cinnamon, and sugar, then bake until crisp.
What are some baked wonton wrapper recipes?
You’re in luck! Brush your wonton wrappers with olive oil, sprinkle with your choice of seasonings, and bake until they’re crispy for a healthy chip alternative. You can also create mini tart shells by pressing them into muffin tins, baking, and then filling with savory ingredients like cheese and spinach.
What are creative ways to use wonton wrappers for appetizers with cream cheese?
For a creamy bite, mix cream cheese with herbs and garlic, then spoon the mixture into wrappers and fold into fun shapes. Bake or fry them until they’re crispy. Spice things up by adding jalapeños or sweeten the deal with a dollop of jam on top before serving.
Could you recommend some healthy wonton wrapper recipes?
Sure thing! Swap out the traditional deep-frying method and opt for baking or steaming your wonton wrappers. Fill them with a mixture of ground turkey, ginger, and veggies for a light and satisfying meal. Alternatively, create a wonton salad cup by baking wrappers in a muffin tin and filling them with a fresh veggie salad.
What are some vegetarian filling ideas for wonton wrappers?
Get ready to feast on fillings like sautéed mushrooms with thyme, ricotta mixed with spinach, or a blend of mashed sweet potatoes with nutmeg. Create a medley of diced tofu, carrots, peas, and sesame oil for an Asian twist. Remember, the key is to season your fillings well for the tastiest results.
How can I use wonton wrappers in making dumplings?
Making dumplings is a breeze with these wrappers. Just spoon your favorite filling into the center, moisten the edges with water, and fold into half-moons or triangles. Press to seal, then steam or boil until they float to the surface, indicating they’re ready to enjoy. Mix it up with various fillings like minced chicken, shrimp, or even a cheese mixture.