Did you know that you can bake cooks cod straight from the freezer? Cod is a simple, nutrient-dense dish that bakes quickly, even if you do not defrost it first. Keep reading to learn how to bake frozen cod.
Is Baking Frozen Cod Safe?
Yes, baking frozen cod straight from the freezer is very safe. All of the microorganisms present in it perish during the freezing phase or the baking/cooking phase. However, defrosting the cod first is preferred. If you don’t have enough time to defrost the fish, you can still cook it frozen.
How To Bake Frozen Cod Without Defrosting
- Using a heavy-duty baking sheet, lightly oil pieces of cod and bake at 450°F until nearly cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Toast some gently-seasoned, lightly-oiled Panko crumbs (3-5 minutes at 450°F) in the oven.
- Take the fish out of the oven and lightly brush the tops of the fillets with a mixture of half dijon mustard and half milk. Top with toasted breadcrumbs.
- Return the cod to the oven to finish cooking until it is heated through and flaky in the middle.
Baked Cod Recipes
Starting out, we have baked cod with lemon, paprika, and cayenne pepper! This quick and healthy meal only requires 4 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to prepare. It’s an excellent dinner option for those hectic weeknights!
- Fresh or frozen cod
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper
- A baking sheet is required to bake cod fillets in the oven. You can also use glass.
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and set the fish on top before baking.
- The ideal temperature for baking cod is 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius).
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cod.
This recipe is packed with vitamin B-12, B3 (Niacin), and B6, and is abundant in lean protein. It provides numerous health benefits, including improving heart health and brain function. It’s also mercury-free.
Baked Cod With Boursin Herb Cheese
To create this dish using fresh fish, combine Boursin or Alouette cheese with canned tomatoes seasoned with onion, peppers, and garlic. This is a fantastic fish recipe for a quick and simple dinner. Your meal can be complete with a tossed salad and a green vegetable side dish. Butter can be replaced with olive oil.
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 2 pounds of fillets of fresh cod (or frozen)
- 1 package of room-temperature Boursin cheese with herbs (4 ounces)
- 5 ounces of chopped tomatoes with garlic, onion, and peppers (drained)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Arrange the fillets of fish on the serving plate. Using a paper towel, pat the fillets dry.
- Cover the fillets evenly with Boursin cheese.
- Pour the tomatoes over the top.
- Season with salt and pepper. Parmesan cheese should be sprinkled on top as well.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered, in a preheated oven.
Tips To Baking Frozen Cod
Don’t Use Thick Cuts
To guarantee optimal thawing and cooking, avoid using thick cuts. Cooking such huge portions straight from the freezer leaves far too much room for error as well as the potential of uneven cooking. If you stick to cod fillets that weigh about 6 ounces and are less than 1-inch thick, you’ll be okay.
Use A Flavorful Sauce Or Breading
You don’t want to scrimp on flavor when baking frozen cod. By combining these two ingredients in the baking pan with the fish, you can make a lemon and butter emulsion to sprinkle over the top.
Yes, even frozen cod fillets can be breaded. Simply brush the fish with oil and then top with seasoned breadcrumbs. Alternatively, thaw your cod fillets for around 5 minutes before crusting them with your breadcrumb or preferred breading mixture and finishing cooking.
Using An Oven
Baking frozen cod is simple; all you have to do is alter the cooking time. Fresh cod may take 15 minutes, but frozen cod may take 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Season the cod with salt and pepper to taste or make a fast sauce.
- Fill a baking dish halfway with fish fillets (approximately 6 ounces per fillet). Add the sauce if you wish to include it.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fish is opaque white, easily flakes, and has a golden-brown top.
Try Baking Frozen Cod
Baking frozen cod is easy. It is a very forgiving fish and you can be flexible with the ways you choose to cook it, even if it’s frozen. Love cod but don’t feel like cooking. Check out this premade frozen cod on Amazon.