Short ribs are one of my favorite meals to order in a restaurant but for some reason, I have always shied away from cooking them myself. Something that tastes so delicious must be complicated to cook, right? Plus you need to grill ribs or bake them in the oven and sometimes you just do not feel like doing that.
But what if you could cook beef short ribs on the stove? That would be a game-changer! So we set out to see if we could actually cook delicious ribs on the stove. After a few failed attempts in Home Perch’s test kitchen, we came up with a perfect and easy recipe to cook beef short ribs on the stove. We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Recipe: How to cook beef short ribs on the stove
- 4 Servings
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- 3 lb beef short ribs
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil, and bay leaves)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- A pinch of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Instructions: How to cook beef short ribs on the stove
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan over high heat. Brown the ribs on all sides.
- Heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large pot.
- Add tomato paste and red wine. Stir well and cook for a minute.
- Stir in beef short ribs and stir gently to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 hours.
- Transfer beef short ribs onto a serving plate.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle any extra sauce over short ribs.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
- This sauce is perfect for gnocchi. You will need less than 30 minutes to prepare tasty homemade potato or pumpkin gnocchi.
- Use high-quality dry red wine.