Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be used in many different dishes. Whether you cook it or serve it raw, it is a widely enjoyed vegetable. Bacon is a flavorful addition to cabbage, making it even more delicious. Here is a simple recipe for how to cook cabbage with bacon.
Can you cook Cabbage with Bacon?
Yes, you can cook cabbage with bacon. Cabbage is a hearty, leafy vegetable that can be cooked in many different ways. Bacon is a flavorful, fatty meat that pairs well with cabbage. When cooked together, cabbage and bacon create a dish with a rich flavor and unique texture. Taste is important when cooking cabbage, as it can be bitter if not cooked properly. Cabbage and bacon are a classic and popular combination.
Tips to Remember
Here are some tips to remember while cooking cabbage with bacon:
- It is important to choose the right type of cabbage. There are many varieties of cabbage, but not all of them will work well with bacon. For this dish, it is best to use green or white cabbage.
- When cooking cabbage with bacon, cook it until it is tender but not mushy. Overcooking the cabbage will make it lose its flavor and texture.
- You can also make this recipe vegetarian by removing the meat completely. Instead, you could use potatoes or tofu.
- When cooking cabbage, cut it up into uniform pieces; it will help in even cooking.
Here are a few ways you can make this dish taste even better:
- Bacon: although we have used traditional bacon in this recipe, you can replace it with turkey or vegan Bacon.
- Vegetables: For more flavor, texture, or color, you can add more vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, etc.
- Sauces: Give this recipe an Asian touch by using soy sauce, red chili sauce, sake, etc. These ingredients enhance the flavor of this dish.
- Sausage: Not a fan of bacon? Substitute it with your favorite sausage or diced ham.
What to serve with Cabbage with Bacon
You can serve this dish as a main dish or a side. If you’re extremely hungry, add a couple of fried eggs or a bit of mayo. Here are a few dishes that go well with cabbage and bacon:
- BBQ: BBQ and cabbage may not be the first combination that comes to mind, but this recipe brings the two together perfectly. The sweetness of the BBQ pairs perfectly with the savory cabbage and bacon.
- Sandwiches: Sandwiches are the perfect food to pair with just about any recipe, but they seem to go especially well with cabbage and bacon. The salty, smoky flavor of bacon pairs perfectly with the sweetness of cabbage, and the two ingredients complement each other perfectly.
- Meatballs: The juicy meatballs are paired with crispy bacon and tender cabbage, making for a heavenly combination.
- Roasted turkey/meatloaf: Roasted turkey or meatloaf are classic holiday foods that pair perfectly with crispy bacon and savoy cabbage.
- Stews and soups: The cabbage provides a nice, crunchy texture that pairs perfectly with the tenderness of the stewed meat. And the bacon adds a delicious smoky flavor.
How to store Cabbage with Bacon
There are a few different storage options if you have leftover cabbage and bacon.
- You can keep it in the fridge for up to four days or in the freezer for six to eight weeks.
- If you want to keep it longer, pickle the cabbage and bacon. This will last for several months.
- To store the cabbage and bacon dish in the refrigerator, put it in an airtight container. If you’re using a plastic container, wrap it tightly in cling film or another layer of plastic wrap.
- To store in the freezer, use an airtight container, but this time wrap it in aluminum foil and cling film or plastic wrap. This will help to prevent freezer burn.
How to Cook Cabbage with Bacon
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4
- ½ lb. bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head of cabbage, cored & chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper, ground
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Add bacon pieces in a single layer in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and cook for a few minutes until crispy. Once done, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, leave 1 to 2 tbsp. of grease, add onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until soft, then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Add pepper, chopped cabbage, salt, smoked paprika, and oregano, toss gently, and cook for 15 minutes until partially soft.
- Then taste, reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan with the lid, and cook for another 10 minutes or until desired softness is achieved.
- Remove the lid, add Bacon, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Once done, remove from skillet and serve with green onions garnishing.