Potatoes are a staple in many diets around the world. They can be boiled, baked, mashed, and fried. Frying them is widely common among the many ways you can enjoy potatoes. However, it means using a lot of oil, which can sometimes be unhealthy.
So if you are wondering how to fry potatoes without oil? Let me tell you it is possible and a very easy way to enjoy potatoes. Read ahead to find out!
Can you Fry Potatoes without Oil?
Potatoes are a delicious and versatile food that can be cooked in many different ways. Fried potatoes are the most loved food item all across the world. Frying potatoes give them a crispy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior. But you require oil to get that texture; with oil comes fat. So, how to avoid using oil and still get that texture we all love? The answer is simple. You can also fry potatoes without oil. Yes! That’s possible.
Why should you Fry Potatoes without Oil?
Frying potatoes without oil may sound impossible, but it can be done. And if you are wondering why it is better to fry them without using oil, here are a few benefits that you should consider:
- First and foremost, frying potatoes without oil can help to reduce the fat content in them. Oil can add a lot of unwanted calories and fat to potatoes, so frying them without it can be a healthier option.
- It can help to keep them from sticking to the pan. When cooking with oil, potatoes can often stick to the bottom of the pan and become difficult to flip or remove. Frying them without oil can prevent this from happening.
- Frying potatoes without oil can also help to preserve their nutrients. When cooking with oil, some of the nutrients in the potatoes can be lost. Frying them without oil can help them retain more vitamins and minerals.
- This method is quicker since you don’t have to wait for the oil to heat up.
- Frying without oil can be less messy than frying with oil since there is no need to deal with oil splatters.
Different ways of frying potatoes without oil
When it comes to cooking potatoes, there are a variety of methods that can be used. Some of them are discussed below:
- Pan frying: This method requires a non-stick pan and some water. First, peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Then, add the potatoes to the pan with enough water to cover them. Turn on the heat and bring the water to a boil. Once the water has boiled, reduce the heat and let the potatoes cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Air frying: An air fryer circulates hot air around the food. This makes the food crispy on the outside while remaining moist inside. Potatoes are perfect for cooking in an air fryer because they already have high water content. Plus, you don’t need oil and still get the same texture. To fry potatoes without oil in an air fryer, simply cut them into small pieces and add them to the basket. Cook at a high temperature for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Baking: Baked potatoes can be just as crispy and delicious as their fried counterparts but without all the extra fat and calories. Simply cut them, place them on a baking tray, and bake until done.
- Steaming: To steam potatoes without oil, you will need a steamer basket and a pot with a lid. Fill the pot with water to come up to the steamer basket’s bottom. Place the potatoes in the basket and put the lid on the pot. Turn the heat up to medium-high and wait for the water to boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the potatoes steam for 15-20 minutes.
Tips to Remember
Here are a few tips and tricks that you can use to fry your potatoes without using any oil.
- Use a non-stick pan. This will help to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan and making them difficult to flip.
- Cut the potatoes into even pieces. It will help them cook evenly so that you don’t end up with some burnt and others undercooked.
- Cooking potatoes on high heat is crucial. It will help to ensure that the potatoes get nice and crispy on the outside without being overcooked on the inside.
- Flip often, as it will help to prevent them from burning or sticking to the pan.
- You can always add more water to ensure the potatoes are cooked through.
How to Fry Potatoes Without Oil
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 2
- 1 lb. Yukon potatoes
- Salt to taste
- Rinse potatoes under fresh water, pat dry using a paper towel, and scrub gently.
- Place them on the cutting board and slice them according to your desired thickness. Season with salt and leave for some time.
- Prepare the air fryer, place the basket inside and preheat to 400F for at least 20 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the air fryer basket and air fry for 20 minutes, then shuffle the basket and air fry for another 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Once done, remove from the air fryer and serve with your favorite dipping or sauce.