There’s nothing better than fresh fries from Mcdonald’s, but after a few hours sitting on the counter or in the fridge, they tend to be much less appetizing. But is there a way to heat them up so they become crispy again? Yes, there is! Here’s how to heat up McDonald’s fries the right way.
Sure, there may be 30 different types of french fries out there (really!) But what makes McDonald’s french fries so delicious is how crispy they are. The thin, salty fries are deep-fried to perfection. It’s just not a tasty fast food meal without them.
It might not happen often (because they taste so good), but if you ever have leftover fries, don’t throw them out! One of the most common issues people have with fries is that they turn super-soft and mushy when you try to microwave them.
Well, I have good news for you. There are many different ways to heat up fries so they are just as amazing the next day. Buh-bye, soggy fries!
How to heat up McDonald’s fries
I’ve compiled all the best ways to heat up McDonald’s fries so they are still as crispy as the day you ordered them. Choose your favorites, and never throw away fries again.
The secret is adding moisture to the fries and then crisping them back up…and you can do this in the microwave, air fryer, skillet, and oven. Here’s how.
How to warm up McDonald’s fries in the microwave
Do not just put the box of fries in the microwave and heat them on high. You’ll get tasteless, soggy fries. But, with a little tweak, this is the best method and will give you nearly perfect fries.
- Cover the fries with a damp paper towel.
- Heat them on high for 20-30 seconds.
- Then, crisp them. Either place them under the broiler for 60 seconds or put them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes.
How to reheat McDonald’s fries in the air fryer
You don’t have to use the microwave first; you can go directly to the air fryer. This will give you hot and crispy fries every time.
- Set the air fryer to 400F.
- Spread the fries in the basket so they are in a single layer.
- Spritz the fries with olive oil.
- Heat them for about 2 minutes.
This will give you really crispy fries. If you want them a tad softer, put them on a plate covered with a damp paper towel and heat them in the microwave for 20 seconds.
By the way, using an air fryer is my preferred method for making frozen french fries taste amazing.
How to heat up McDonald’s fries in a skillet
A skillet will also give you the perfect fries, and it’s fairly easy to do!
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread out the fries in a single layer in the skillet.
- Spritz the fries with a light mist of water.
- Put a lid on the skillet.
- Heat the fries for about 30 seconds.
- Spritz some olive oil in the pan and fry the fries until they are as crispy as you like them.
You could also semi-deep fry them too: Add an inch or two of oil to the skillet and let the fries sizzle in the oil until they are nice and crispy! This is a messier and greasier option, but it sure tastes good!
How to warm up McDonald’s fries in the oven
The oven takes longer because you have to wait for the oven to preheat. However, all that waiting could be worth it – this method keeps them nice and crispy. Just make sure you add enough oil to them, or else they will dry out in this method. You also need to watch them closely because they could burn.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare your baking sheet by covering it in aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Spread the fries in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Add olive oil on top of the french fries.
- Cook the fries in the oven for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the fries when they are as crispy as you like.
More helpful kitchen tips
Now that you know how to heat up McDonald’s fries in a bunch of different (and easy) ways, here are some more kitchen tips that will have you cooking like a pro!