This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
Are you a cake connoisseur who simply loves digging into a delicious slice (or two) of devil’s food cake? Do you love the taste of homemade cake but just don’t have the time to make it from scratch? Get excited because we are going to show you how to make your boxed devil’s food cake better than ever.
What is Boxed Devil’s Food Cake?
Boxed devil’s food cake typically consists of a pre-packaged dry mix that contains all the necessary ingredients for the cake except for a few additional wet ingredients like eggs, oil, and water. You simply need to combine the mix with these wet ingredients, following the instructions on the box, and then bake it in the oven.
Ingredients in the Box
The main ingredients in a boxed Devil’s Food Cake mix usually include the following items:
- Flour: The base of any cake mix provides structure to the cake.
- Sugar: Sweetens the mix and helps keep the cake moist.
- Cocoa powder: Provides a rich chocolate flavor.
- Leavening agents, such as baking soda or baking powder, help the cake rise.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavor of the cake.
- Vegetable oil or shortening: Adds moisture and helps create a tender texture.
When it comes to preparing the cake, the box typically instructs you to add the following ingredients:
- Eggs: Help to bind the cake and provide structure as the cake bakes.
- Oil or butter: Adds fat, which makes the cake more tender and moist.
- Water or milk: Provides necessary moisture for the cake.
How to Make Boxed Devil’s Food Cake Better
Replace the Water
When making a boxed devil’s food cake, you can elevate its taste by replacing water with more flavorful liquids. Consider using milk or buttermilk as an alternative. If you’re a coffee lover, try adding strong brewed coffee or espresso.
Add Extra Chocolate
You can never have too much chocolate, right? To make your boxed devil’s food cake even more decadent, consider adding some extra chocolate to the mix. There are several ways to do this:
- Chocolate chips: Simply fold in a cup of chocolate chips to the cake batter. Opt for dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate based on your preference.
- Ganache: Melt equal parts chocolate and heavy cream together, then let it cool before spreading it over your cake.
- Cocoa powder: You can add one or two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the dry mix. Make sure to sift it in for better incorporation.
By trying these substitutions and additions, you’re sure to have a delightfully upgraded devil’s food cake that tastes homemade and indulgent.
Enhance the Flavor
To make your boxed devil’s food cake even more delicious, try adding coffee to the mix. You can either substitute the water in the cake mix with brewed coffee or add 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules. Here’s how:
- Replace water: Brew a cup of strong coffee and use it instead of the water required by the cake mix instructions.
- Instant coffee: Dissolve 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules in the required amount of water and add it to the cake mix as directed.
Another way to elevate the taste of your devil’s food cake is by adding spices. Experiment with these options:
- Cinnamon: Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the cake mix. This spice pairs wonderfully with chocolate, giving it a warm, comforting touch.
- Nutmeg: A small amount of ground nutmeg (around 1/4 teaspoon) adds a hint of nuttiness and complexity to the chocolate flavor.
- Cayenne pepper: For those who love a bit of heat, try adding a pinch (about 1/8 teaspoon) of cayenne pepper to your recipe. This little kick of spice can really make your devil’s food cake stand out.
Improve the Texture
Add Sour Cream
One simple way to enhance the texture of your boxed devil’s food cake is by adding sour cream. Not only does it make the cake more moist and rich, but it also gives it a subtle tanginess that complements the chocolate flavor. To do this, simply replace a portion of the water called for in the recipe with an equal amount of sour cream. For example, if the box instructions call for 1 cup of water, try using 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sour cream.
Be sure to mix the ingredients well, ensuring the sour cream is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
Play with Frostings
A great way to add excitement to your cake is by experimenting with different frostings and piping techniques. Instead of sticking to the classic chocolate frosting, consider trying out the following options:
- Cream Cheese Frosting: With its tangy taste and creamy texture, cream cheese frosting complements the rich chocolate flavor of Devil’s Food cake beautifully.
- Peanut Butter Frosting: For a twist on the classic pairing of chocolate and peanut butter, try whipping up a batch of peanut butter frosting to add some extra excitement to your cake.
- Marshmallow Fluff: Adding a layer of marshmallow fluff between the cake layers can create a delightful surprise when the cake is sliced.
Sprinkle with Toppings
Toppings are another way to add interest to your boxed devil’s food cake. Try getting creative with the following suggestions:
- Chopped Nuts: Sprinkle toasted nuts like pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts over your frosted cake for extra crunch and flavor contrast.
- Chocolate Chips: For a double dose of chocolate goodness, scatter mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings over the top of your cake.
- Edible Glitter or Gold Leaf: To create a striking and luxurious look, sprinkle your cake with edible glitter or delicate gold leaf.
- Fresh Berries: Adding a pop of color and a hint of tartness, fresh raspberries or strawberries make for a lovely and refreshing garnish.
- Crumbled Cookies or Candies: Crush some of your favorite cookies or candies, like Oreos or toffee pieces, and sprinkle them over the cake to create a visually intriguing and flavorful topping.
What ingredients can make a boxed Devil’s food cake moister?
Adding an extra egg or swapping out the water in the cake mix for milk can increase moisture. Consider using melted butter instead of oil for a richer taste. You can also add a spoonful of sour cream or Greek yogurt for a tangy touch and improved texture.
What secret additions make a boxed cake taste like a bakery cake?
Adding a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or almond extract can bring out a more refined flavor in your Devil’s Food cake. Mixing in a cup of chocolate chips will induce a gooey, decadent texture that mimics those found in bakery cakes.
Are there any pudding hacks for a homemade taste?
Certainly! Try stirring in a box of chocolate instant pudding mix to the dry cake mix before adding your wet ingredients. The pudding mix will make the cake taste like it was baked from scratch.
How can I make a store-bought Devil’s Food cake fluffy?
To make your Devil’s Food cake fluffier, try separating the egg yolks from the whites. Whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently fold them into the batter. Make sure not to overmix, as this will deflate the egg whites and reduce the fluffiness of your cake.