This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
Are you tired of plain, store-bought boxed Spanish rice? Many people rely on boxed or instant Spanish rice dishes because they’re convenient and easy to prepare. However, the flavors often leave something to be desired. To really make your Spanish rice dish shine, all it takes is incorporating a few simple strategies and ingredients.
Boxed Spanish Rice – Quality and Seasoning
Importance of Quality Rice
Choosing the right kind of rice plays a significant role in improving the overall texture and taste of the dish. While using the rice that comes with the box is tempting, consider replacing it with better-quality rice like Basmati or Jasmine. These rice types are known for their ability to hold their shape and not become overly mushy.
To ensure your rice cooks to the perfect texture:
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear
- Soak it for at least 20 minutes before cooking
The pre-packaged seasoning found in boxed Spanish rice is usually loaded with sodium and artificial flavors. To give the dish a healthier and more authentic twist, try:
- Reducing the amount of pre-packaged seasoning
- Adding fresh ingredients like garlic, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes
- Use homemade or store-bought low-sodium broth instead of water to cook the rice
- Incorporating spices like cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder for an enhanced flavor
Gather Quality Ingredients
Choose the Right Rice
When making boxed Spanish rice, choose long-grain rice for the best results.
- Basmati rice – aromatic and slightly nutty
- Jasmine rice – fragrant and slightly sticky
You may also use medium-grain or short-grain rice, but they may produce a stickier consistency.
Select Fresh Produce
To enhance the flavor of your Spanish rice, consider adding fresh vegetables like:
- Bell peppers – red, green, or yellow for a pop of color and subtle sweetness
- Tomatoes – choose firm, ripe tomatoes for a fresh taste
- Onions – red or yellow onions both work well
- Garlic – a must for an authentic Spanish flavor
Make sure to wash and chop your vegetables before adding them to the dish.
Select Quality Meats
Adding meat to your Spanish rice not only enhances the flavor but also adds protein to your meal. Some popular options include:
- Chicken – boneless and skinless, either breasts or thighs
- Sausage – Spanish chorizo for a traditional flair or smoked sausage
- Shrimp – peeled and deveined for ease of use
Cook your meat separately and add it to the dish towards the end, just before the rice finishes cooking.
Enhance the Base
Saute Rice in Oil
To make your boxed Spanish rice even more delicious, start by sautéing the rice in oil. Use 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil and heat it in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the rice and stir it occasionally for about 3-5 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown.
Add Onions and Garlic
After sautéing the rice, it’s time to add some aromatic ingredients to enhance the flavor further. Dice 1 small onion and finely chop 2 cloves of garlic. Add these ingredients to the pan with your rice and continue stirring:
- Sauté onions until they become translucent and start to soften
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes to release its aroma
Incorporating these simple yet impactful steps will elevate your boxed Spanish rice, making it a dish you’ll be proud to serve. Remember to keep a friendly tone and maintain a second-person point of view throughout the section. Enjoy your improved Spanish rice!
Improve the Cooking Process
Properly Adding Liquids
To enhance your boxed Spanish rice, start by properly adding liquids. Instead of using plain water, experiment with different liquids to add richness to your dish. For instance, replace water with chicken or vegetable broth for extra flavor. You can even try adding a splash of white wine if you prefer.
Optimize Cooking Time
Another essential aspect of perfecting your boxed Spanish rice is optimizing cooking time. To avoid mushy or undercooked rice, follow these steps:
- Preheat your pot or saucepan before adding rice and liquids.
- Allow rice to cook at a consistent temperature to promote even cooking. Avoid high heat as it can cause the rice to stick to the bottom of the pot or burn.
- Simmer the rice with a lid, slightly vented, to let steam escape.
- As you near the end of the cooking time, check the rice for doneness. If it needs more time, continue cooking, checking every few minutes until you reach the desired texture.
Experiment with Seasonings
After cooking your boxed Spanish rice, consider experimenting with various seasonings such as cumin, smoked paprika, or a bit of garlic powder. If you enjoy a touch of heat, don’t hesitate to sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Remember to taste and adjust the seasonings according to your preferences.
Add Fresh Herbs
Incorporating fresh herbs into your cooked Spanish rice can greatly enhance the overall flavor. Chopped cilantro or parsley brings a burst of freshness and color to each bite. You can also try adding a little finely chopped basil or oregano for a Mediterranean twist. When adding fresh herbs, gently fold them into the warm rice just before serving to preserve their aroma and texture. Enjoy your upgraded boxed Spanish rice, personalized with your favorite seasonings and fresh herbs!
How can I improve the texture of packaged Spanish rice?
For a better texture, make sure you cook the rice uncovered and stir it occasionally throughout the cooking process. You can also try rinsing the rice in cold water before cooking to remove excess starch. To add some crunch, mix in some sautéed bell peppers or toasted pine nuts.
Which ingredients can I use to spice up Old Paso rice?
To spice up Old Paso rice, add some diced jalapeños, sliced cherry tomatoes, or a teaspoon of chipotle in adobo sauce. You can also mix in grilled corn or black beans for an extra kick.
What are some variations to the original boxed Spanish rice recipe?
Variations can include using chicken or vegetable broth in place of water or adding cooked shrimp, chorizo, or diced chicken for a protein boost. Experiment with different spice blends, such as Creole or Caribbean, for a unique twist.
How can I modify the microwave instructions for La Preferida Spanish rice?
To modify the microwave instructions, reduce the amount of water by 2-3 tablespoons and add a few minutes to the cooking time. Check the rice occasionally, and adjust the cooking time and power level if needed. For extra flavor, stir in some diced tomatoes, onion, and green bell pepper before microwaving.
What are the best brands for boxed Mexican rice?
Some popular brands for boxed Mexican rice include Goya, Zatarain’s, Old El Paso, La Preferida, and Knorr. Remember, you can always add your own personal touch to enhance the taste and texture of any boxed rice.