This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
Frozen pretzels can be a delicious and convenient snack if you know how to make them taste great, and we are going to show you how. Keep reading to learn how to make frozen pretzels taste better.
How Are Frozen Pretzels Made?
Frozen pretzels are made by first preparing the dough, which typically includes flour, water, yeast, sugar, and salt. The dough is then shaped into the classic pretzel form, either by hand or using machines. After shaping, the pretzels are briefly boiled in a mixture of water and baking soda, which helps give them their characteristic chewy texture and brown crust. They are then cooled, packaged, and frozen for storage and distribution.
Factors Affecting the Taste
There are several factors that can impact the taste of your frozen pretzels.
- Storage conditions: Make sure your pretzels are properly stored in airtight containers or sealed plastic bags to prevent freezer burn and protect them from absorbing other flavors in your freezer.
- Reheating method: The way you reheat your pretzels also plays a role in the final taste. Using an oven or toaster oven is preferred over microwaving, as it provides more even heat distribution and helps maintain the texture and crispiness of the pretzel.
- Toppings and seasonings: Enhancing the taste of your frozen pretzels can be as simple as adding some extra toppings or seasonings. Some popular options include melted butter, sea salt, garlic powder, or even cinnamon and sugar for a sweet twist.
Quick Ways to Make Frozen Pretzels Taste Better
A key factor in making frozen pretzels taste better is the way you heat them. By using different techniques, you can achieve the desired texture and flavor enhancement. Here are three methods:
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F and place the pretzels on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the edges.
- Microwave: Place the frozen pretzels on a microwave-safe plate and heat for 30 seconds on high. Check the softness and adjust the heating time as needed.
- Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 350°F and arrange the pretzels in a single layer. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until they reach your preferred level of crispiness.
Dips and Toppings
Choosing the right dip and toppings can significantly enhance the taste of your frozen pretzels. Here are some ideas to try:
- Cheese sauce: Warm up some store-bought cheese sauce or make your own by melting cheddar or other types of cheese and mixing it with milk.
- Mustard: Classic yellow mustard or grainy Dijon mustard offers a tangy flavor contrast that complements the pretzels.
- Hummus: Both classic and flavored hummus make a delicious and healthy dip option.
- Chocolate sauce: For those with a sweet tooth, dipping your pretzel in a rich chocolate sauce might be the perfect choice.
- Cinnamon and Sugar: Combine equal parts cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. After using the Refresh and Re-Bake method, brush your warm pretzel with melted butter and generously sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.
- Garlic and Herb: Mix some chopped fresh or dried herbs (basil, parsley, or oregano) and minced garlic into melted butter. Brush the mixture over your warmed pretzel for a savory twist.
Frozen Pretzel Brands
Sometimes, the problem with your frozen pretzels not tasting great lies in the brand you’re using. Here’s how you can discover the best-frozen pretzel brands.
First, research online and read product reviews from other customers. This helps you narrow down the top-rated brands that people already like. Some popular choices to consider are SuperPretzel, Auntie Anne’s, and Kim & Scott’s.
Next, pay attention to the ingredients and nutritional information on the packaging. A higher-quality brand will usually use all-natural ingredients and avoid preservatives or artificial flavors.
After you’ve gathered a list of brands, it’s time for you to experiment. Visit different stores where you usually buy your groceries and pick up a few boxes of pretzels from various brands.
Now, it’s time for a fun taste-testing session! Follow the cooking instructions provided on each package and compare the results. Keep in mind that you might need to tweak the cooking times slightly for the perfect texture.
While taste testing, be mindful of:
- Flavor: Does the pretzel have a well-balanced taste? Are the salt levels just right?
- Texture: Is the pretzel chewy and soft on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside?
- Smell: A delicious aroma can elevate the entire experience as you bite into your pretzel.
How to make cinnamon sugar pretzels using frozen pretzels
To make cinnamon sugar pretzels, follow these steps:
- Bake the frozen pretzels following the tips above.
- Meanwhile, melt unsalted butter and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a 4:1 ratio.
- Once the pretzels are baked, brush them with the melted butter.
- Dip the buttered pretzels in the cinnamon sugar mixture, coating evenly, and enjoy!
How to cook frozen cheese-filled pretzels using an air fryer
To cook cheese-filled pretzels in an air fryer, follow these steps:
- Preheat the air fryer to 340°F for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray.
- Place the frozen cheese-filled pretzels in the basket, leaving enough space between them.
- Cook the pretzels for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pretzels carefully using tongs, and let them cool for 1-2 minutes before serving.