This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
After indulging in a delicious lasagna, you might be wondering what desserts would perfectly complement your savory meal. Choosing an appropriate dessert can enhance your dining experience and provide a much-needed contrast to the rich and hearty flavors of lasagna. Worry not, as we’ve got your back with some fantastic dessert options to satisfy your sweet tooth.
As lasagna is a famous Italian dish, it isn’t surprising that many popular dessert pairings also originate from Italy. These classic Italian desserts bring both harmony and variety to your meal by balancing the rich tomato and cheese flavors with light, sweet, and sometimes fruity notes.
Before we proceed to the list, it’s essential to consider a few factors when selecting the right dessert to pair with your lasagna. These factors include the specific lasagna recipe used, the preferences of your guests, and of course, your personal preferences. Keeping these in mind will ensure that you create an unforgettable meal with a perfect dessert finale.
Understanding Dessert Pairing
When it comes to pairing desserts with lasagna, there are a few key factors to keep in mind. These include sweetness, acidity, and texture. As a general rule, you want your dessert to complement the rich, savory flavors of lasagna without overpowering them.
Sweetness plays an important role in dessert pairing. After indulging in a hearty lasagna, a dessert that is too sweet might be overwhelming to the palate. To achieve a pleasant balance, opt for desserts with a moderate level of sweetness.
The acidic element in a dessert can help to cut through the richness of lasagna. Incorporating acidity in your dessert choice will create a refreshing contrast and cleanse the palate. Look for desserts that have a tangy character, as the tartness can elevate the flavors of both the dessert and lasagna.
To illustrate these principles, consider the following dessert suggestions:
- Lemon Ricotta Cake: The light, fluffy texture of this cake, combined with the tangy lemon flavor, makes for a delightful dessert pairing with lasagna.
- Tiramisu: This classic Italian dessert offers a perfect balance of sweetness and acidity, thanks to the combination of coffee, mascarpone cheese, and cocoa.
- Fresh Fruit Tart: Colorful and refreshing, a fruit tart offers a little bit of sweetness along with the acidity of the fruit, creating a perfect balance with the lasagna.
Cheese Based Desserts
Nothing beats the creamy, tangy flavor of a well-made cheesecake. Made with a combination of cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and flavors like vanilla or chocolate, this classic dessert is the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Cheesecake comes in a wide variety of flavors and types, from the traditional New York style to fruit-topped, marble, and chocolate swirl options. It’s up to you to choose the perfect one to suit your taste buds!
Cannolis are another fantastic Italian dessert option that pairs nicely with lasagna. These cylindrical pastries consist of a fried, crispy shell filled with a mixture of ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, and sometimes chocolate chips or candied fruit. Cannolis are not only delicious but also visually appealing, making them the perfect finish to your meal.
Ice Cream Varieties
After enjoying a delicious lasagna, you might be thinking about the perfect dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth. Ice cream is a versatile and ever-popular choice that complements the savory flavors of lasagna. Let’s explore some ice cream varieties that you can pair with your lasagna meal for a delightful finish!
Vanilla ice cream, for example, pairs beautifully with lasagna, as it doesn’t conflict with the lasagna’s rich flavors. In addition to vanilla, consider some of these other delicious ice cream flavors that complement lasagna:
- Chocolate: a classic choice that is hard to go wrong with
- Pistachio: adds a touch of nutty flavor for a unique option
- Salted caramel: the subtle saltiness pairs well with the savory flavors of lasagna
Another fantastic ice cream option to go with lasagna is gelato. This Italian classic is similar to ice cream, but it’s typically denser and creamier, offering a luxurious end to your meal. Just like with homemade ice cream, you can experiment with different flavors or stick to the classics like vanilla or chocolate.
Biscotti, also known as Biscotti di Prato, are classic Italian cookies that are twice-baked, which gives them their signature crunchy texture. They come in various flavors and can be paired with a cup of coffee or tea. Some popular variations include:
- Almond Biscotti: Traditionally made with whole almonds
- Anise Biscotti: Flavored with anise seeds for a lovely licorice taste
- Chocolate-dipped Biscotti: Adds a touch of sweetness with a chocolate coating
Cakes and Pastries
Chocolate cake is a popular dessert choice to serve after lasagna. Its rich, sweet flavor contrasts beautifully with the savory taste of lasagna. You can opt for a classic layered chocolate cake or a moist and dense flourless chocolate cake. To enhance the taste, consider a delicious filling like raspberry jam or whipped cream. Extra tip: Pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to create a delightful balance.
Angel Food Cake
If you’re looking for a lighter dessert option, angel food cake is the perfect choice. This airy, sponge-like cake is made with whipped egg whites, making it a low-calorie and guilt-free treat to enjoy after a hearty lasagna meal. You can serve angel food cake with fresh berries, a dollop of whipped cream, or a drizzle of fruit purée. Your guests will appreciate this fluffy, satisfying dessert without feeling overly full.
A bright and zesty limoncello cake will add a refreshing and sophisticated touch to your lasagna dinner. The combination of sweet lemon and a tangy limoncello glaze elevates a simple sponge cake into an unforgettable dessert experience. Plus, the citrusy flavors will cleanse your palate, allowing you to fully appreciate the richness of your main course.
A delightful and refreshing fruit salad is a perfect accompaniment to lasagna. You can easily prepare a fresh fruit salad by combining a variety of fruits, such as strawberries, orange, kiwi, and grapes. To enhance the flavor, drizzle some lemon juice and a touch of orange juice over the fruit mixture. Your fruit salad can be even more special by adding a sprinkle of pine nuts that will give it a delightful crunch.
Finally, for a truly elegant dessert, consider impressing your guests with poached pears.
- Start by selecting some local fresh pears and peel them while keeping their stems intact.
- In a pot, create a poaching liquid with water, sugar, and some lemon or orange juice.
- Add the pears and let them simmer gently until tender.
- For an extra touch of sophistication, incorporate spices such as cinnamon or star anise into the poaching liquid.
- Serve the pears warm or chilled, and pair them with a scoop of fruit sorbet or gelato.
After enjoying a hearty lasagna, you might want to lighten things up with a refreshing dessert to cleanse your palate. Here are a couple of delightful options that will perfectly complement the richness of your meal.
Sorbet is an excellent choice for a dessert following lasagna. This icy, fruity delight is a refreshing treat that is both light and delicious. Some popular flavors to consider include:
- Lemon: The tanginess of lemon sorbet provides a lovely contrast to the rich flavors of lasagna.
- Mint: Mint sorbet has a cooling effect that will leave you feeling refreshed and satisfied.
- Berry: Berries are packed with natural sweetness and acidity, which can help cut through the heaviness of a filling lasagna.
To make your sorbet even more special, try serving it in a frosted glass or a hollowed-out fruit shell.
Lemon Drop Cookies
Another fantastic option for a post-lasagna dessert is lemon drop cookies. These zesty, bite-sized treats offer a burst of citrus flavor that pairs well with the savory elements of your main dish. The light and delicate texture of these cookies makes them an ideal choice for a refreshing and satisfying treat.
Here’s a simple recipe for lemon drop cookies that you can easily prepare at home:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease two cookie sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice, mixing until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, placing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool slightly before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.