For many people, red and black raspberries are interchangeable. But they couldn’t be more different. They are actually completely different species!
The black raspberry is a hybrid of the red raspberry and blackberry and has a sweeter and more complex taste than either berry.
How Black and Red Raspberries Are Different
Although black raspberries are a hybrid of the red raspberry and the blackberry, they are generally treated as separate species. This is because they are so different from the red raspberry and the blackberry. They have different growing conditions, for one thing. Black raspberry plants are native to Europe, grow in a conical shape, have a difficult time reproducing without intervention, and only produce 4-8 berries, each the size of a raisin. Red raspberry plants are native to North America, grow in a bush shape, are self-fertile, and produce 10-20 berries, each the size of a grape.
Interesting Facts About The Black Raspberry
- Black Raspberries have a more complex taste than either of the berries from which they are derived.
- They are more delicate than other berries and therefore need to be handled differently.
- They are not generally used for a dessert that you bake because they have a very short shelf life.
- Black raspberries are actually a dark purple color.
- They are not particularly common in the wild, but they are commonly grown commercially.
- They are rich in antioxidants, low in sugar and they have almost no fat and very few calories.
Food and Drink That Use Black Raspberry Fruit or Flavor
Easy Smoothie Recipe
- 3 tablespoons fresh or frozen black raspberries
- 1 cup milk (whole, non-fat, soy, or almond)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
I like to put toppings on my smoothies, such as fresh bananas, granola, and shredded coconut. Some people like to put marshmallows on top of them. I have never tried that but it sounds delicious!
Where to Buy
You Might Also Like:
- 23 Different Types of Berries – What’s Your Favorite?
- Pre Workout Shake Recipes: 12 Recipes to Super Charge Your Body
- What are the Different Ice Cream Options?
- What is a Goldenberry and 6 Reasons Why You Should Eat Them
- The Yumberry is YUM and 10 Fun Facts About This Exotic Fruit
- How to Select Fruit
- The Top 10 Fruit Candy Brands to Indulge Your Sweet Tooth
- Exploring Rice – One of the Most Versatile Foods in the World