If you want a juicy steak that you’ll be proud to serve guests, then follow these tips! This is how to cook an eye of the round steak perfectly every single time.
Eye of the round steak with gravy and mashed potatoes is a delicious, juicy, and wholesome way to enjoy a great dinner for your friends and family. Out of all the different cuts of steak, this particular one is easy to cook, lean, and affordable.
If you are not sure about how to cook an eye of the round steak, we have all the information you need to know to make this delicious dish. In fact, these tips will help you cook it perfectly, even the first time!
What is eye of the round steak?
The eye of a round steak is a cut that comes from the hind and rump of the cow. Because the muscles involved in this particular part of the animal are used for movement, this cut is leaner with less fat.
It is a juicy cut often used for grilling, making stir fry, and broiling. The meat is not very tender but is widely used for making steaks, roasts, and ground meat.
The best thing about this cut is that it is delicious and very affordable.
Different ways to cook eye of the round steak
There are many different ways you can cook this particular cut. Each method will give you a different taste and texture, so choose how to cook it based on how you want it to turn out.
Here are a few easy ways to enjoy an eye of round steak:
The easiest way to cook an eye of round steak is by roasting it. This method works really well for Sunday brunches and family holiday dinners. This is a one-pan method that is very easy.
To roast eye of round steak, season or marinate it and pop it in the oven. The technique here is to cook it at a high temperature to get some searing and then reduce the heat until it is cooked as per your liking. I typically set the timer for 60 minutes before removing the meat.
Braising is another easy way of cooking this steak cut. It usually involves cooking on a stovetop using a Dutch oven. You first have to sear it on all sides to give it some color and then cook the steak slowly in the Dutch oven.
Make sure to braise the steak to keep it moist. When you do, monitor the internal temperature and remove it when it’s cooked to your liking.
The most convenient and quick way of cooking an eye of round steak is in the air fryer. All you have to do is season it and place it in the air fryer.
Flip halfway into the cooking time, and it will be ready in about 20 minutes, depending on the steak size. It’s best to air fry it at 360F for about 15 minutes. Check on the steak after 10 minutes.
This method allows the steak to cook in temperature-controlled water using its juices. With sous vide, you’ll be cooking it for a longer time at a lower heat. This long process breaks down the connective tissue, which makes the steak perfectly fork-tender.
You can slow-cook the steak in a crockpot too. Even though this method takes the longest, it also gives you tender meat. It works well when you are cooking vegetables or making a stew. It’s best to cook it on low for 8-10 hours.
Eye of round steak internal temperatures guide
People enjoy their steak at different levels of doneness. The best way to cook a steak to your liking is to use an instant-read food thermometer. Here’s a quick temperature guide to help you decide which degree of doneness you want:
- Rare: The internal temperature should be 125 degrees Fahrenheit for a rare eye of round steak.
- Medium-rare: The internal temperature should be 135 degrees Fahrenheit for a medium-rare.
- Medium: For a medium eye of the round steak, the internal temperature should be 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Medium-well: The internal temperature should be 150 degrees Fahrenheit for medium-well.
- Well-done: The internal temperature should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit for a well-done eye of round steak.
Eye of Round Steak Recipe
Eye of Round Steak
- 2 lbs. the eye of round roast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp dried rosemary
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cup red wine
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ tsp browning sauce
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, dried thyme, dried rosemary, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Pat the eye of round steak with a kitchen towel and drizzle olive oil; using your hands, run olive oil on all sides of the steak.
- Rub the dry spice mix generously on the steak.
- Place it on a roasting pan's rack and to the preheated oven at 400-degree f for about 15 minutes until it gets a nice brown color.
- Now reduce the temperature to 300-degree f and let it roast for about 40 minutes or until the steak's internal temperature reaches 135-degree f. This is the temperature for medium-rare steak.
- Once done, take the steak out of the oven. Pour the drippings into a bowl and cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil. Let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Once done, transfer it to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice the steak and place it on the serving plate. Cover with aluminum foil, so it stays warm.
- Pour the juices on the cutting board in the roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, pour red wine into the roasting pan with all the drippings and place it on medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, scrape off the bits on the roasting pan.
- In a bowl, melt butter and mix all-purpose flour in it.
- Once the red wine starts to reduce, pour beef broth and the all-purpose flour and butter mixture.
- Using a whisker, whisk the ingredients vigorously until everything unifies.
- Now add the browning sauce and continue to whisk the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to let it simmer at low heat for 3 minutes until it thickens up.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour it in a serving jug and serve it alongside the steak and mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
How do you cook an eye of the round steak to make it tender?
The best way to make an eye of the round steak tender is to cook it at a low temperature for a long time. This is called cooking it “low and slow.” If you don’t have time to cook it this way, I suggest marinating the steak and then grilling it.
What is the eye of round steak good for?
This is the perfect cut of steak to use as a pot roast in the slow cooker, chopped up in a stew or soup, and for any dishes that call for cubed steak.
How long does it take to cook an eye of the round steak?
This depends on what method you’re using to cook it and how well done you want the steak to be. Follow the cooking temperatures listed above.
How long should an eye of round steak be cooked on the grill to achieve the perfect doneness?
For medium rare, grill the steak for approximately 7-8 minutes per side. Use a meat thermometer to reach an internal temperature of 135°F, and remember to let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Can you share some tips to ensure the eye of the round steak remains tender when grilled?
For tenderness, avoid overcooking. Sear the steak on high heat quickly on each side, then continue grilling on lower heat. Keep the steak moist by not piercing it, which would allow juices to escape.
What temperature should the grill be set at for cooking eye of round steak?
Preheat your grill to a high temperature of around 450-500°F for searing. After searing, reduce the heat to medium, maintaining a grill temperature of about 350°F for the remainder of the cooking process.
Is the eye of round steak suitable for grilling, and if so, how can it be made flavorful?
While tougher than other cuts, the eye of round steak can be delicious when grilled. Marinate beforehand, season well with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs, and avoid overcooking to keep it flavorful.
What methods can be used to tenderize an eye of round steak prior to grilling?
In addition to marinating, you can tenderize the steak mechanically with a meat mallet. Another method is to score the surface in a crosshatch pattern, which can help the marinade penetrate and also prevent the steak from curling on the grill.