Marinated steak that is cooked to perfection is heavenly. Most people know that you can grill steak but this post will walk you through how to cook marinated steak in the oven so you get a perfect piece of meat every time.
What to look for when buying a steak?
Steak is a term that almost every foodie knows. It is something that brings comfort and luxury at the same time. On a dull day, a steak is always there to lift your mood. It is associated with so many memories, like the first date, first anniversary, graduation party, etc. But the question is what to look for when buying a steak? Worry not! Here is a detailed guide on everything you need to know about a steak!
Quality is directly proportional to flavor. Even if you use premium quality marinade ingredients, the true flavor of the steak itself must shine through. So, when buying a steak, look for the quality! It should be fresh, red, and have the right amount of fat. If you want luxury, you can go for dry-aged steak, but they are a bit expensive.
There are several cuts you can choose from. You can get Filet mignon, T-bone, ribeye steak, sirloin steak, strip steak, skirt steak, or flank steak. Whatever suits you!
Thickness is very important when buying a steak. The perfect thickness is 1 ½ inch. A steak with less thickness than this will dry out, and one with more thickness will not cook properly.
Rare, medium, or well done! Which one is your favorite? The line between these is quite thick, so you have to keep in mind the temperatures. Here is what you should always remember:
- Rare: When the steak reaches 120°F in the oven.
- Medium-rare: When the steak reaches 130°F in the oven.
- Medium: When the steak reaches 140°F in the oven.
- Medium-well: When the steak reaches 145°F in the oven.
- Well done: When the steak reaches 155°F in the oven.
Steak marinade ideas
There are so many different ideas for beef marinade! Here are a few you should try:
- Kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix it and rub it on your steak. Enjoy the natural flavor of your cut!
- This is my favorite steak marinade recipe. Avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Ever heard of jerk seasoning? If no, you can easily find it in the spice aisle of any grocery store. If yes, try it NOW!
- Use dries Italian herbs, lemon juice, and mustard powder.
How to cook marinated steak in the oven?
Here are some simple steps to follow when cooking a marinated steak:
- Step 1: Marinate the steak. In a bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients, place the steak in a plastic Ziploc bag and pour the marinade mixture into the bag. You can also use a marinade container instead of a bag. Seal the bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Place a cast iron pan on medium heat with a little olive oil and let it heat up. Once it is very hot, place the steak using tongs and let it sear for 30 seconds. Flip using the tongs and let it sear on the other side as well.
- Step 3: Place the cast iron pan in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Let the steak cook for 3 minutes.
- Step 4: Flip the steak using tongs and let it cook for another 3 minutes.
- Step 5: Measure the internal temperature of the steak using a thermometer. If it reaches your desired temperature, remove it from the pan.
- Step 6: Place it directly on the serving plate so that the cooking stops. Let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes. You can pour the leftover juices on the steak as well or use it to make gravy.
- Step 7: Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or chives, and serve with mashed potatoes, vegetables, or a salad.
How to store a cooked steak?
Storing cooked steak is super easy. All you have to do is store it in an air-tight container and place it in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3 days. However, make sure it is cool before you store it; otherwise, it will develop moisture.
You can also freeze it. Place it in a zip lock freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. It is better to dice or shred the steak before freezing for easy use later.
Easy Marinated Steak Recipe
- 2 steaks 8 ounces each
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- ¾ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¾ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley
- In a bowl, add avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- Pat the steaks dry using a kitchen towel. Place these in a plastic zip-lock bag, and pour in the marinade.
- Seal the Ziploc bag and massage the steaks so that the marinade coats every inch.
- Place the Ziploc bag in the refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place a cast pan over medium heat.
- Once it is heated, place the steaks using a pair of tongs.
- Press it gently to sear for about 30 seconds.
- Flip the steak and press to sear it on the other side for 30 seconds.
- Place the cast iron pan in a preheated oven at 350-degree F for 3 minutes.
- Flip the steak so that it cooks from the other side for 3 more minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the steak. When it reaches your desired temperature, take the pan out of the oven and transfer the steak to a serving plate.
- Spoon the juices in the pan over the steak and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve alongside a baked potato with sour cream, grilled red pepper, or salad.