Cuban coffee is strong, sweet, and deliciously rich. If you are a caffeine lover, you will enjoy Cuban coffee unlike anything else. Especially when you have an espresso machine, you can make it whenever you want. But it doesn’t mean you can’t make Cuban coffee without an espresso maker. If you are wondering, How to Make Cuban Coffee without an Espresso Maker? You have to read ahead. We have just the right way to help you out and give you a perfectly made cup of Cuban coffee.
What is Cuban coffee?
Cuban coffee, also known as Cuban shot, is a type of coffee native to the Cuban lands. This type of coffee, just like Turkish coffee, is enjoyed in the morning or with lunch in Cuba and other European regions. Cuban coffee is widely known for its very strong but sweet flavor. It is brewed just like espresso and is rich and thick. There are different ways to enjoy this particular type of coffee. Cuban coffee is an umbrella that holds at least three different serving styles. Cuban coffee is super easy to make, and you can brew it just like any other coffee. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the coffee beans or ground coffee have to be of premium quality.
Types of Cuban coffee
There are three widely known ways of serving Cuban coffee. Each one has its name and is differentiated by flavor and the use of milk/sugar in it. Here is everything about them:
- Cafecito: Also known as Café Cubano, this is the traditional way of serving and enjoying Cuban coffee. In simple words, it is the standard American black coffee. Only it is twice as strong as black coffee and is quite thick. It is served in small cups, and you can sweeten it using either white or brown sugar. You can make this type of coffee using any coffee bean.
- Cortadito: Now, this type uses only a few tablespoons of milk to just dilute the coffee and give it a lighter color. You can add sugar to it if you want.
- Café Con Leche: When you serve cafecito with hot milk, it becomes a Café Con Leche. It is served just like you serve separate tea. It is unsweetened coffee. The coffee and milk are served separately, and you have to pour the hot milk into the cafecito and enjoy. Café Con Leche is widely served during breakfast alongside crispy and buttery toast. The combination of these two ingredients is perfect.
How to make Cuban coffee without an Espresso Maker
Making Cuban coffee is super easy. It is pretty much like making any other coffee. Especially when you are using an espresso machine, you don’t really have to worry about anything at all. If you are used to drinking sugar-less coffee, you simply have to pour water into the espresso maker and add freshly ground coffee. Let it brew to a strong flavor and wait. Once the coffee is brewed, fill it in espresso shots and serve.
Now, if you want to make Cuban coffee using sugar, you will have to make a slight change in the process. Add sugar to the cup and set it aside. Pour water and coffee into the espresso machine. As it is brewing, add a few drops of brewed coffee into the cup. Note that these first few drops are the most concentrated ones. Mix it well so that you get a creamy and thick consistency mixture. Once the coffee is brewed, pour it into the cup, mix, and serve.
Can you make Cuban coffee without an espresso maker?
Absolutely! You don’t always need a fancy espresso machine to make Cuban coffee. There are ways in which you can make it without using any machine. These are the old ways and might need a little patience, but the result is just perfect. If you want to make Cuban coffee without an espresso machine, here are a few steps you have to follow:
- Start by filling the mocha pot or a coffee pot with water. Make sure you choose a coffee pot with a filter.
- Fill the filter with premium-quality ground coffee. Once you have added the desired amount of ground coffee, seal the coffee pot tightly.
- Place it on medium heat and let the water heat up.
- Meanwhile, if you are using sugar, add it to your cup.
- As the coffee starts to brew, use the first few drops of concentrated coffee by collecting them into the cup that has sugar in it. Mix the two ingredients vigorously until they turn into foam.
- Now, as the coffee is brewed, pour it into the cup that has sugar foam.
- Mix well. Now you can pour the coffee into espresso shots. Serve it with steamed milk. Enjoy!
How to Make Cuban Coffee without an Espresso Maker
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 2
- 2 shots Cuban-style coffee
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 – 2 cups water, as required
- Fill the mocha pot or coffee pot with water. Make sure you choose a coffee pot with a filter.
- Fill the filter with premium quality ground Cuban coffee. Once you have added the desired amount of ground coffee, seal the coffee pot tightly.
- Place it on medium heat and let the water heat up.
- Meanwhile, add sugar to your cup.
- As the coffee starts to brew, use the first few drops or a teaspoon of concentrated coffee in the cup that has sugar in it. Mix the two ingredients vigorously until they turn into foam and get a light color.
- Pour the brewed coffee into the cup that has sugar foam.
- Mix well. Pour the coffee into espresso shots. Serve it with steamed milk. Enjoy!