Plain yogurt is very healthy to eat, but honestly, it can be boring. The good news is we are going to show you how to make vanilla yogurt from plain yogurt. Keep reading to learn how to transform your plain yogurt into a vanilla treat.
What is vanilla yogurt?
Vanilla yogurt is yogurt that is infused with vanilla flavor. Vanilla flavor comes from vanilla beans. It is a type of umami flavor that is quite hard to explain. Vanilla is often an integral part of any dessert recipe. It has a beautiful and subtle aroma and flavor. You can add vanilla extract to anything and enhance its flavor. Vanilla is more like a flavor enhancer than actually a flavor.
Can you make vanilla yogurt from scratch?
Absolutely! Although you can find premade vanilla yogurt from grocery stores, you can also make it at home. If you want to make yogurt at home from scratch and add a vanilla flavor, you can easily do that. The only thing you must remember is that making vanilla yogurt from scratch takes time. You will need at least 8 hours. So, if you want to eat vanilla yogurt for breakfast, you can easily make it at night and let it rest. The whole preparation process takes no more than 5 minutes. Here is how you can make vanilla yogurt from starch.
Start by warming about 2 cups of whole dairy milk in a saucepan. Make sure you are using full-fat milk, as it will result in a perfect textured yogurt. The yogurt made from low-fat milk is watery. Once the milk is lukewarm, take it off the heat. You don’t want the milk to be very hot. It must feel warm to the touch. Now add about three tablespoons of yogurt in it and stir until the two ingredients are well combined. Now add vanilla extract and give it a stir. Cover the saucepan with a lid and place it in a warm, dry place overnight or for at least 8 hours. The next morning, the milk will turn into yogurt.
How to make vanilla yogurt from plain yogurt
Now you know how to make vanilla yogurt from scratch using milk, but it takes time. Luckily we have a super easy and quick way to make vanilla yogurt. For this recipe, you will need only three ingredients: plain yogurt, vanilla extract, and sugar.
All you have to do is combine all these ingredients and mix well. That’s all! Isn’t it amazing? You don’t have to worry about warming the milk or finding a warm and dry place. Simply buy premade plain yogurt, add vanilla and sugar to taste, and voila!
Can you make vanilla yogurt with plain Greek yogurt?
If you don’t eat plain or full-fat yogurt and like Greek yogurt better, you can change its flavor to vanilla yogurt. Just replace plain yogurt with plain Greek yogurt, and the rest of the ingredients will stay the same.
Vanilla yogurt is simple, creamy, and yummy. I don’t think you need to add anything to it. Its simplicity is what makes it special. However, if you want to jazz it up a bit, you can try adding some of these ingredients:
- Nuts: Nuts like almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts taste amazing in yogurt. The creaminess of the vanilla yogurt, along with the crunch from the nuts, is a perfect combination. Plus, it is super healthy as well.
- Dried fruits: You can add dried fruits like dried mulberries, raisins, dried apricots, and dates to the vanilla yogurt. The addition of these ingredients will make the vanilla yogurt sweeter and richer in flavor and texture.
- Berries: Fresh berries like blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries taste great in yogurt. And when you add these to vanilla yogurt, it’s like the cherry on top. It is a perfect dessert you can enjoy any time of the day without any guilt.
- Mint: Fresh mint leaves are refreshing and have an amazing flavor. You can add these to your vanilla yogurt, and the combination of vanilla and mint flavor is just perfect. These two flavors are truly made for each other.
- Fruits: Fresh fruits also taste good in yogurt. You can add fresh banana slices, apples, or grapes to this vanilla yogurt. It is a great pre and post-workout snack.
- Cinnamon: Adding cinnamon to vanilla yogurt will add both warmth and sweetness without any extra calories
How To Make Vanilla Yogurt from Plain Yogurt
- Preparation time: 2 minutes
- Cooking time: N/A
- Total time: 2 minutes
- Servings: 2
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extracts
- In a large bowl, add plain yogurt.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Does Freezing Yogurt Kill The Probiotics?
Freezing yogurt may reduce the number of live probiotics but doesn’t eliminate them entirely. When you thaw the yogurt, the probiotics become active again, albeit at a potentially lower count. To maintain the probiotics, consume the thawed yogurt within a few days.
Can You Heat Up Yogurt?
Heating yogurt is possible but can lead to a change in texture and a reduction in probiotic content. If you want to heat yogurt without it curling, try incorporating it into warm dishes like sauces and soups at the end of cooking, or add it to a slow cooker dish in the final stages.
Is Yogurt Kosher?
Most yogurt is considered kosher as long as it meets specific dietary laws. Always check the product label for a kosher certification symbol to ensure that your yogurt is kosher-approved.