This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through our links, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. HomePerch only promotes products that we use and love.
Waffles are a classic breakfast treat that many people enjoy. But what if you need more time or energy to make a traditional waffle batter? Fortunately, there is an easy solution: just add water pancake mix. This mix makes it possible to make delicious waffles with just a few simple ingredients in minutes. Keep reading to learn how to make waffles with just add water pancake mix.
Can you make Waffles with Just Add Water Pancake Mix?
The answer is yes! You might follow the traditional recipe for making waffles, but if you are short of ingredients or time, there is an easier way to make quick waffles. All you need to do is add water to the pancake mix and mix until the batter is smooth. The mix contains all the ingredients for making light and fluffy waffles, including flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and other flavorings. Once the batter is ready, pour it into your preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
It saves time since you don’t have to measure individual ingredients or worry about getting the ratios right. Plus, since it comes pre-mixed with all the necessary ingredients, you can remember something important like baking powder or salt. Finally, it’s affordable, and a single box can last for several pancakes or waffles!
Tips to Remember
It is important to remember a few tips when using this mix to ensure that your waffles turn out perfectly every time.
- Do not overmix the batter. If you overmix it, your waffles will be tough and chewy instead of light and fluffy. To avoid this, mix the batter until just combined and no more.
- Let the batter rest for at least 10 minutes before using it. This allows the gluten to relax, resulting in a better texture for your waffles.
- Add oil or butter to the batter before cooking it. This helps prevent sticking and also adds flavor to your waffles. You can also use non-stick cooking spray if you prefer.
- Refrain from overfilling the waffle iron with batter when cooking your waffles. If you do so, they won’t cook evenly and may end up being soggy in some areas while overcooked in others. A good rule of thumb is to fill each section of the iron about three-quarters full with batter for the best results.
- Ensure to preheat your waffle iron before adding any batter to it. This helps ensure that your waffles cook evenly and prevents them from sticking to the iron’s surface.
Here are a few ways to add more flavor to your waffles:
- Egg: The egg adds richness and flavor to the waffles you can’t get with just the mix alone.
- Milk/ Buttermilk: Milk or buttermilk adds moisture and richness to the waffle batter, making it fluffier and tastier. If you want a richer flavor, try using half milk and half buttermilk.
- Spices: Adding spices to your waffle batter can give it an extra kick of flavor that will make it stand out. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cardamom are all great spices to add to your batter for a delicious twist on traditional waffles.
- Melted butter: The melted butter helps keep the outside of the waffle crisp while adding a subtle flavor that pairs well with sweet toppings like syrup or honey.
- Extracts: Using extracts such as vanilla or almond extract can give your waffles an extra boost in flavor without adding too many calories or fat content.
- Chocolate chips: Adding chocolate chips to your waffle batter is a great way to make them even more decadent and delicious! Chocolate chips add sweetness and texture that pair perfectly with syrups and other toppings like fresh fruit or whipped cream.
- Berries: Adding fresh berries such as blueberries or raspberries into your waffle batter is another great way to make them even more flavorful and nutritious!
Here are some topping ideas to make your waffles even more special.
- Fresh Fruit: Fresh fruit is one of the best topping ideas for waffles. Fresh fruit can add a layer of flavor and texture to your waffle. Add some diced strawberries, blueberries, or bananas to your waffle for an extra burst of flavor.
- Nut Butter is another great topping idea for waffles made with Just Add Water Pancake Mix. To boost protein and flavor, try spreading peanut butter, almond, or cashew butter on your warm waffle.
- Syrups: Syrups are one of the most popular toppings for waffles. Try drizzling maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar over your warm waffle for an extra sweet treat. Try caramel sauce as a topping instead if you want something a bit savorier.
- Nuts or Seeds: Nuts and seeds are another great topping option for your waffle made with Just Add Water Pancake Mix. Try sprinkling chopped walnuts, almonds, pecans, sunflower, pumpkin, or chia seeds over your warm waffle for added crunch and texture.
How to Store Waffles with Just Add Water Pancake Mix
Once your waffles have cooled down, place them in an airtight container. If you plan on eating them within a few days, then storing them in the refrigerator is best, as this will keep them fresh for up to five days after cooking. However, if you plan on eating them further down the line, freezing is best, as this will keep them fresh for up to three months after cooking.
How to Make Waffles with Just Add Water Pancake Mix
- Preparation time: 1 minute
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 6 minutes
- Servings: 4
- ½ cup just add water pancake mix
- ¼ cup water
- In a bowl, add pancake mix. Pour water and mix until you reach your desired consistency.
- Heat the waffle iron and ladle the mixture. Cook until the waffles are done.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!