If you adore seafood, this crabmeat-stuffed salmon is a must-have dish for your dinner table! This gorgeous dinner might easily be ordered at a high-end restaurant, but it’s quite easy to prepare at home and only takes 30 minutes. Keep reading to learn how to cook salmon stuffed with crabmeat.
What Kind Of Fish Should You Use For This Recipe?
It’s no secret that the best flavor comes from wild, fresh salmon. Use wild-caught Pacific salmon such as Coho, Sockeye, or Chinook if available. Frozen fish can also be used in this recipe, but make sure it’s thawed first.
Which Type Of Crab Is Best For This Recipe?
When it comes to crab meat for the stuffing, you have a lot of options. If at all possible, use real crab meat. That fresh flavor is unbeatable!
I used lump beef because it’s strong, tiny, and mildly flavored. It’s cheap and doesn’t overpower the filling or the salmon’s flavor. Backfin meat, a mixture of lump and body meat from the crab, is similar. It’s also flaky, with a very mild flavor.
You don’t want to eat the crab claw meat. It has the strongest flavor and is best served alone or in a dish where it is the main attraction.
How To Cook Salmon Stuffed With Crabmeat
- 2 Salmon Fillets (fresh or frozen)
For Crab Stuffing
- 4 oz. real lump crab meat
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill finely chopped
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare Crab Stuffing
In a mixing bowl, combine all of the crab stuffing ingredients. Gently fold them together.
Cut Salmon Filets
Cut both salmon fillets lengthwise through the center to make room for the stuffing.
Fill Salmon Filets
Stuff both fillets with crab meat filling and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake Salmon Filets
Bake for 15 minutes or until thoroughly done.
Is Salmon Cooked Covered Or Uncovered?
What To Serve Alongside Salmon Stuffed With Crabmeat?
- Serve with roasted potatoes or green beans (or both). It is always a good option for a simple side dish.
- Cucumber and avocado salad with mixed greens and miso dressing is a great choice.
- If you’re sharing a piece of fish with someone else, a heartier side dish like marinated white beans or goat cheese risotto is ideal.
How To Prepare Stuffed Salmon In Advance
You can prepare the salmon & crab mixture ahead of time. Stuff the salmon fillets and carefully wrap each one in foil. Refrigerate until you’re ready to bake them.
Substitutions And Helpful Recipe Tips
- Do you want to give the fish a bit extra flavor? Before cutting and filling the fillets, season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Don’t overcook the salmon! Salmon only needs to be in the oven for about 15 to 17 minutes before it’s ready to eat. If you cook it any longer, it will dry out and become hard.
- Do you want to add some greens? Add ½ cup cooked spinach to the filling mixture.