There’s nothing quite like a mug of hot chocolate to get warm during the cold winter days. You can make it in multiple different ways such as using chopped chocolate or cocoa powder. But using chocolate chips is a unique route that allows you to make a creamy and dreamy hot chocolate to serve your belly. Keep reading to learn how to make hot chocolate with chocolate chips.
This article will show you the secrets to make hot chocolate with chocolate chips within a couple of minutes. You don’t need any special ingredients for this recipe. All you need to do is to follow the steps below and you’ll have the cup of hot chocolate of your dreams.
- How to Make Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips
- Instructions When Using Water
- Instructions When Using Milk
- Can you store the leftover hot chocolate?
- How to reheat your hot chocolate?
- Is hot chocolate better than cocoa?
- Can you use chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips to make hot chocolate?
- You Might Also Like:
How to Make Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup of milk (dairy or non-dairy) or water
- 3 tablespoons of high-quality chocolate chips (6 tablespoons of chocolate chips if you’re using water instead of milk)
- Sweetener: Coconut sugar, white sugar, brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- Spices: Peppermint extract, vanilla extract, chili powder, cloves, or cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of cashew butter or tahini or 1 teaspoon of simple butter (if you’re using water)
Instructions When Using Water
When you use water instead of milk, your hot chocolate won’t be very sweet or creamy. That’s why we have mentioned butter that allows you to achieve the same consistency and sweetness that you have with hot chocolate made with milk.
You need to add cashew butter or tahini to add a smooth creaminess. It’s important to note that the addition of butter will not replicate the taste of milk, but a single teaspoon will make the taste of your hot chocolate significantly better.
Another important factor to note is that both kinds of butter come with a mild flavor and taste. So, they won’t dominate or interfere with the taste and flavor of chocolate in any way.
If you want to make a hot chocolate for single-serving then you’ll need to use the number of ingredients that we’ve mentioned above. You can double the amount for 2 servings and so on and you’ll need to add the same number of tablespoons of butter to improve consistency and taste.
It’s also possible to use peanut butter for the same purpose but it’ll change the taste of your hot chocolate considerably. However, if you’re a lover of peanut butter then this method might suit you well.
Follow the instructions mentioned below to make hot chocolate with water.
- Add 4 ounces or 6 tablespoons of chocolate chips to 1 cup of water. We recommend you use a bigger liquid measuring cup. It’ll allow you to whisk the chocolate easily.
- Place the cup in your microwave and cook for about 1 to 1.5 minutes.
- Remove the cup from the microwave and start whisking so that the chocolate chips get melted. You might also need to use a spatula to incorporate all the chocolate by scraping the bottom and sides of the cup.
- Now you’ll need to add the butter to the mixture of chocolate and water and whisk until the butter melts. It’s still an optional step but it’ll add more flavor to your hot chocolate made with water.
- Add your desired spices or extracts to sweeten the hot chocolate. Using honey, brown sugar, or maple syrup is recommended for the best results. If you’re making it for a single serving then a half of a teaspoon of a sweetener will be enough. You’ll need to keep whisking the hot chocolate as you add the sweetener.
- Place the cup in the microwave again and run it for 15 to 30 seconds if the hot chocolate isn’t warm enough.
- Remove the cup from the microwave and pour the hot chocolate into your favorite mug and voila!
Tip: You’ll need to double the chocolate chip amount when you’re using water.
Instructions When Using Milk
- Add 2 ounces of 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips to 1 cup of milk poured into a measuring cup.
- Place the cup in your microwave and cook for 1 to 1.5 minutes.
- Remove the cup from the microwave and whisk until the chocolate chips melt.
- Add a half teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of the desired sweetener to the hot chocolate.
- Place the cup into the microwave and run it again for 15 to 30 seconds if needed.
- Remove the cup from the microwave and pour the hot chocolate into your favorite mug.
- Garnish the drink if you want and you’re ready to serve.
Can you store the leftover hot chocolate?
Yes, you can store your leftover hot chocolate by following these steps:
- Pour your leftover hot chocolate into a refrigerator-friendly container.
- Let it sit on the kitchen shelf so that it cools and comes to room temperature.
- Place the container with the hot chocolate in your refrigerator (don’t forget to cover it).
- It’ll stay fresh for up to 3 to 5 days.
How to reheat your hot chocolate?
Follow these steps to reheat your hot chocolate:
- Remove the hot chocolate from your refrigerator.
- Leave it on your kitchen shelf so that it comes to room temperature.
- Pour it into a saucepan and heat it at the lowest temperature until it becomes steamy and hot.
- Make sure that you don’t bring it to its boiling point as it’ll lose its consistency and flavor.
- Remove the pan from the stove and pour the hot chocolate into your favorite cup.
Note: It’s not recommended to use the microwave to reheat your hot chocolate because it’s nearly impossible to control the heat.
Is hot chocolate better than cocoa?
Well, it’s a matter of personal preferences. However, hot chocolate is made with actual chocolate (as we used chocolate chips in this recipe) which makes it richer than cocoa that’s made with cocoa powder.
Can you use chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips to make hot chocolate?
You can use chocolate bars for this recipe but sometimes they don’t melt well because they’re meant to be eaten. So, it’s hard to make smooth hot chocolate using chocolate bars.