This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through our links, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. HomePerch only promotes products that we use and love.
Marshmallows are a versatile and delightful treat that can add a touch of sweetness to a variety of dishes. When thinking about what to eat with marshmallows, consider that their soft, pillowy texture and sweet vanilla flavor make them perfect for a wide range of desserts. From classic s’mores to inventive culinary creations, marshmallows can be melted, toasted, or used as a garnish to enhance the overall taste and presentation of your dessert.
S’mores and Variations
S’mores are not only a campfire staple but a versatile treat that you can enjoy in various forms. From the traditional fireside experience to kitchen-friendly variations, there’s a s’more for every setting.
- Graham crackers
- Milk chocolate bars
- Heat your marshmallow over a campfire until it’s perfectly charred.
- Sandwich the warm marshmallow and a piece of chocolate between two graham crackers.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter, and brown sugar and press into a baking pan.
- Bake until slightly firm, then sprinkle with chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Return to the oven until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Chocolate chips
- Graham crackers (for dipping)
- In a skillet, layer chocolate chips and top with marshmallows.
- Bake at 450°F (232°C) until marshmallows are golden.
- Dip your graham crackers into this gooey, easy s’mores delight.
Baked Marshmallow Desserts
Baked desserts with marshmallows offer a gooey sweetness that pairs wonderfully with rich, chocolatey flavors. From the texture of brownies to the bite-size joy of cookies, there’s a marshmallow dessert to suit your tastes.
Brownies and Bars
You can transform your basic brownie recipe by adding marshmallows and chocolate chips to the mix. As the brownies bake, the marshmallows melt into a soft layer that contrasts with the dense, fudgy texture below. For something different, try a Mississippi Mud Cake, a deliciously rich chocolate cake topped with melted marshmallows and a drizzle of chocolate icing.
- Brownie Variation:
- Mix in 1 cup of marshmallows with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake as per your brownie recipe instructions.
- Mississippi Mud Cake:
- Sprinkle marshmallows over the cake 5 minutes before it’s done baking.
- Finish baking until marshmallows are melted and slightly golden.
Hot cocoa cookies make the perfect winter treat. Envision a soft, chocolate cookie topped with a marshmallow, lightly baked to achieve a toasty finish. It’s like a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form!
- Hot Cocoa Cookies:
- Top each cookie dough ball with a marshmallow half before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350°F or until cookies are set and marshmallows are slightly toasted.
Cakes and Cupcakes
Cupcakes can be given a marshmallow twist with a topping of baked marshmallow frosting. For a decadent experience, bake a chocolate cake and cover it with marshmallows in the last few minutes of baking. The marshmallows will become warm and toasty, ready to be spread into a delightful frosting layer.
- Cupcake Topping:
- Place a marshmallow on top of each cupcake for the last 3-4 minutes of baking.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving for a simple marshmallow frosting.
- Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Layer:
- Add marshmallows on top of the nearly finished baking cake.
- Once melted, use a spatula to spread them evenly across the cake and broil for 1-2 minutes until golden.
Marshmallow Treats and Snacks
Marshmallows bring a sweet, gooey twist to various snacks. Whether you prefer no-bake treats or warm, melted delights, the following snack ideas will satisfy your sweet tooth with a marshmallowy touch.
Rice Krispie Treats
You can create a classic Rice Krispie Treat by melting marshmallows with a bit of butter and mixing in Rice Krispies cereal. Elevate the flavor by adding a swirl of peanut butter or a drizzle of melted dark or white chocolate. Here’s a quick list to guide you:
- Rice Krispies Cereal: The base of your treat.
- Marshmallows: Melt these with butter for the sticky mixture.
- Butter: A little goes a long way to create the perfect texture.
- Mix-ins (optional): Peanut butter, nuts, dark or white chocolate.
If you’re looking for a unique snack, try making Marshmallow Popcorn Balls. Pop your popcorn, then stir in melted marshmallows to form the balls. Mix in some nuts for a crunchy surprise, or add a touch of white chocolate for extra sweetness.
- Popcorn: Freshly popped and salted to taste.
- Marshmallows: Acts as a sticky binder for the popcorn balls.
- Nuts (optional): To add a satisfying crunch.
- White Chocolate (optional): For a smoother, creamier flavor.
No-bake snacks are perfect for when you want a treat without the heat. Create marshmallow treats by combining marshmallows with ingredients like cereal, chocolate, or peanut butter. Melt marshmallows and mix with your favorite no-bake ingredients, then let it set for a simple yet delectable snack.
- Marshmallows: The key ingredient for your no-bake creation.
- Peanut Butter: Adds a rich, creamy element.
- Chocolate: Choose between dark or white to mix into your treats.
- Nuts: Toss in for added texture and flavor.
Creative Uses for Marshmallow
Marshmallows are incredibly versatile and can be transformed into delightful treats with different flavors and textures.
Marshmallow Dips and Toppings
Indulging in marshmallow dips can add a creamy, sweet dimension to your snacking. Dip fresh strawberries into a bowl of fluffy marshmallow cream for a light yet indulgent dessert. If you’re in the mood for something more festive, blend crushed peppermint into your marshmallow dip and pair it with chocolate cookies or Oreo pieces.
- Marshmallow Fruit Dip:
- Ingredients: Marshmallow cream, cream cheese, sugar
- Pair with: Fresh fruit such as strawberries, apples, or grapes
- Peppermint Marshmallow Dip:
- Ingredients: Marshmallow cream, peppermint extract, crushed candy canes
- Pair with: Chocolate biscuits or pretzels
Get creative with marshmallow recipes by crafting unique shapes. Treat yourself to chocolate marshmallow cutouts – use cookie cutters to shape marshmallows, dip them in melted chocolate, and let them harden. Alternatively, fashion marshmallow pops by skewering the marshmallows, dipping them in caramel or chocolate, then rolling them in nuts or sprinkles.
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cutouts:
- Steps: Cut shapes, dip in chocolate, decorate
- Decorate with: Sprinkles, nuts, or colored sugar
- Marshmallow Pops:
- Steps: Skewer marshmallows, dip, roll in toppings
- Toppings: Sprinkles, crushed cookies, toasted coconut flakes
Holiday and Themed Treats
Celebrate the seasons with themed marshmallow delights. For a fall treat, craft a marshmallow sweet potato bake, with layers of marshmallows melted over sliced sweet potatoes. During Christmas, mix up a batch of homemade marshmallow fudge with peppermint for a minty touch, or create a colorful ambrosia salad filled with marshmallows, fruit, and coconut.
- Marshmallow Sweet Potato Bake:
- Ingredients: Sweet potatoes, marshmallows, butter, brown sugar
- Bake at: 375°F until marshmallows are golden
- Peppermint Marshmallow Fudge:
- Ingredients: Chocolate chips, condensed milk, peppermint extract, marshmallows
- Set in: Refrigerator for 2 hours before cutting into squares
- Ambrosia Salad:
- Ingredients: Mini marshmallows, canned fruit, coconut, sour cream
- Chill for: At least 1 hour before serving
Frequently Asked Questions
Exploring different ways to enjoy marshmallows can be a delightful experience. The FAQs below offer a variety of simple and delicious options for bringing the sweetness of marshmallows into your everyday treats.
What are some simple marshmallow dessert recipes that I can try at home?
You can make classic Rice Krispies Treats by melting marshmallows with butter and mixing in Rice Krispies cereal. Alternatively, try chocolate-marshmallow bark by spreading melted chocolate on a tray, adding marshmallows and nuts, and letting it set.
How can I incorporate marshmallows into my coffee as a treat?
Add a few mini marshmallows directly into your hot coffee, allowing them to melt slightly for a creamy texture. Or, top your whipped cream with marshmallows on your next cup of hot cocoa or mocha for extra sweetness.
Are there any creative ways to enjoy marshmallows by the campfire?
Beyond traditional s’mores, you can roast marshmallows until golden and create a sandwich with peanut butter cups between graham crackers. Or, fill a waffle cone with chocolate chips, fruit, and marshmallows, then wrap it in foil and warm it by the fire.
What are some easy snacks or desserts I can make with marshmallow fluff?
Spread marshmallow fluff on graham crackers and add slices of bananas for a quick treat. Another option is to mix fluff with cream cheese to make a delicious fruit dip or a spread for bagels.
Can you suggest some recipes that involve marshmallows and peanut butter?
Make peanut butter and marshmallow squares by combining melted marshmallows with peanut butter and powdered sugar, press the mixture into a pan, and cut into squares once set. Also, peanut butter-marshmallow popcorn balls are fun and easy to make for a snack.
What are delicious items to dip into marshmallow fluff for a quick snack?
Slice up apples, pears, or strawberries for a healthy dip option. Pretzel sticks, biscuit cookies, or potato chips provide a delightful sweet and salty contrast when dipped into marshmallow fluff.